Evaluate the signal expression

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation involving integrating an exponential signal and impulse signal. However, they are struggling to understand what the equation is saying and need help understanding it.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Evaluate (simplify) the following expression:

y(t) = ∫0 e2(t + 2τ)δ(t + τ)dτ =

Homework Equations

Shortcut signal expression techniques, integration of an exponential signal and impulse signal, other techniques that are probably unknown to me

The Attempt at a Solution

(t + τ) = a;

τ = -t + a; dτ = 0;

=1

but this can't be right at all. I know you're supposed to integrate something but don't really know what (or how it works in this case). Any hints would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about we rewrite this as

y(T) = ∫0 exp{2(T + 2t)}δ(t + T) dt

that has to be the same thing except the answer is of course y(T), not y(t).
So at which point in t is δ(t+T) non-zero? Then, look at the limits of integration.

(I rewrote the xpression solely because it's easier, for me at least, to visualize t as the independent variable). Comments/refutations welcome!

Likes 1 person
Sorry for sounding dumb, but t was given that way, as y(t), but by changing it, you mean it does mean the same thing anyway, correct? (τ is Tau and I couldn't find a more proper text symbol to write it down here).Anyway, I didn't even know you could rewrite e^(anything) that way, but I guess that does make it easier.

I do not know how to see which point where δ(t+T) is not zero. I have it down though that, since you are integrating the δ function it "cancels out," so would it still make a difference?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Sorry for sounding dumb, but t was given that way, as y(t), but by changing it, you mean it does mean the same thing anyway, correct? (τ is Tau and I couldn't find a more proper text symbol to write it down here).
Sure. I only did it because I and most people think of t as the independent variable and T as the delay time.

Anyway, I didn't even know you could rewrite e^(anything) that way, but I guess that does make it easier.
You mean write exp(x) instead of ex? Sure, that way you don't need awkward exponents and everything is aligned up. Very common I hope, at least it was in my day! :-)

I do not know how to see which point where δ(t+T) is not zero. I have it down though that, since you are integrating the δ function it "cancels out," so would it still make a difference?

Look at the definition of δ(x). It's
δ(x) = 0, x ≠ 0
δ(x) = ∞, x = 0.

BUT with the proviso that ∫δ(x)dx = 1 if the limits of integration include the point x = 0. Note that the dimension of δ(x) is always x-1. So actually the δ function is defined only in terms of an integral expression:

∫δ(x)dx = 0, integration limits outside of x=0
= 1, integration limits surrounding x=0.

The most interesting thing about the δ function is its sampling property:
f(T) = ∫f(t)δ(t-T)dt if the limits of integration include t=T

So with the definition I have given you for δ(x) and looking hard at your given limits of integration it should be apparent what f(T) is.

Likes 1 person
Are you saying, T = -t? Seems there is a shortcut you used, where you can say like if δ(x - anything), then x - anything = 0. I take it I would be changing the exp part from T = -t as well.

Something else bad to tell you; I have never seen those definitions either, but those are way better than what I was given before (though I'm sure they actually mean the same thing), thank you.

Last edited:
Color_of_Cyan said:
Are you saying, T = -t? Seems there is a shortcut you used, where you can say like if δ(x - anything), then x - anything = 0. I take it I would be changing the exp part from T = -t as well.

Something else bad to tell you; I have never seen those definitions either, but those are way better than what I was given before (though I'm sure they actually mean the same thing), thank you.

Instead of saying T = -t I prefer t = -T since as I said I consider t the independent variable.

What you said about δ(x-anythig) is correct. Whatever is inside the parentheses, the δ function is zero except when the parenthetical expression is zero.

Look at your limits of integration and you won't be worrying about the exponential expression. We can talk about that once you figured out the answer.

Likes 1 person
rude man said:
What you said about δ(x-anythig) is correct. Whatever is inside the parentheses, the δ function is zero except when the parenthetical expression is zero.
I see, and then this is based on the definition you gave, right? ("δ(x) = 0, x ≠ 0"?)
∫δ(x)dx = 0, integration limits outside of x=0
= 1, integration limits surrounding x=0.
From what you gave then, the exp part would be

=exp{2[T + 2(-T)]}

=exp{2[T - 2T]}

=exp{2[-T]}

=exp(-2T)

What happens to the exp part of the expression now? Don't you still integrate this? I see from the limits of integration and the other definition you gave the δ(x) will just become 1.

Look at where δ(t+T) is non-zero and compare that to your limits of integration!

Likes 1 person
Color_of_Cyan said:
I see, and then this is based on the definition you gave, right? ("δ(x) = 0, x ≠ 0"?)
Right.

From what you gave then, the exp part would be

=exp{2[T + 2(-T)]}

=exp{2[T - 2T]}

=exp{2[-T]}

=exp(-2T)

What happens to the exp part of the expression now? Don't you still integrate this? I see from the limits of integration and the other definition you gave the δ(x) will just become 1.[/QUOTE]

See my post # 8.

Likes 1 person
rude man said:
Look at where δ(t+T) is non-zero and compare that to your limits of integration!
Sorry, can't figure out what you mean by this. Isn't it already 1? I can't really see what is going on with the rest of the function.

δ(x) = 0 (when x is not 0), but the integral limits are from 0 to ∞ ?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Sorry, can't figure out what you mean by this. Isn't it already 1? I can't really see what is going on with the rest of the function.

δ(x) = 0 (when x is not 0), but the integral limits are from 0 to ∞ ?

For what value of t is your delta function not zero? Does that value of t fall within your limits of integration?

Likes 1 person
Let's see

"δ(x) = 0, x ≠ 0
δ(x) = ∞, x = 0."

"What you said about δ(x-anythig) is correct. Whatever is inside the parentheses, the δ function is zero except when the parenthetical expression is zero."

(t+T = 0) => δ(x) ≠ 0.

Really bad at this, but I'm going to say (disregarding T), that t can be 0 which is on the limit of integration.

Color_of_Cyan said:
Really bad at this, but I'm going to say (disregarding T), that t can be 0 which is on the limit of integration.

Why are you disregarding T?
For what value of t is δ(t+T) non-zero?
What are the limits of integration on t?
Those two answers give you your final answer.

Likes 1 person
ok then t = -T, and the limits of integration are from 0 to ∞. It is probably that I am rusty with integration, but you changed it to y(T), do the integration limits still apply?

Color_of_Cyan said:
ok then t = -T, and the limits of integration are from 0 to ∞. It is probably that I am rusty with integration, but you changed it to y(T), do the integration limits still apply?

abf(t)dt = F(b) - F(a) where f(t) = dF(t)/dt. Fundamental theorem of calculus.

In your case a = 0 and b = ∞. The limits are on t. When you perform the definite integral, t disappears.

If f(t) = 0 for all a <= t <= b then that interal is zero.

You need to review basic calculus.

Likes 1 person
Then there's still more to know about this. You were supposed to take the derivative of f(t) (and basically the entire integral) all along?

The reason I kept asking is because, the integral would just go to ∞ if you plug it back in for t (assuming all you do is take the antiderivative of e-2t). Was/is there another property regarding this? It does make a lot of sense now though.

It's still just e-2t then, right?

Related to Evaluate the signal expression

What is signal expression and why is it important?

Signal expression refers to the level of gene expression in a cell or organism, which can be measured by the amount of mRNA or protein produced. It is important because it provides insights into the functioning of cells and the underlying molecular mechanisms of biological processes.

How do you evaluate signal expression?

Signal expression can be evaluated through various techniques such as quantitative PCR, Western blotting, and immunohistochemistry. These techniques allow for the detection and measurement of mRNA or protein levels in cells or tissues.

What factors can affect signal expression?

Signal expression can be affected by a variety of factors, including genetic variations, environmental conditions, and cellular signaling pathways. Additionally, experimental techniques and sample preparation methods can also impact signal expression results.

Why is it important to validate signal expression results?

It is important to validate signal expression results to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data. This can be done by using multiple techniques to measure expression levels and conducting control experiments to rule out any potential confounding factors.

How can signal expression data be interpreted?

Signal expression data can be interpreted in various ways, depending on the research question and the specific experimental design. It can be compared between different conditions or time points to identify changes in expression levels and can also be correlated with other biological data to gain a deeper understanding of cellular processes.