Evaluate the Improper integral [4,13] 1/(x-5)^(1/3)

In summary: Either way, it simplifies to 1 and can be ignored in the final answer. In summary, the integral [4,13] 1/(x-5)1/3 is evaluated by splitting it into two separate integrals, using u substitution and rewriting in terms of u, and then integrating each integral. The values for the second limit in the first integral may appear to be undefined, but the value of (-1)^2/3 can be simplified to 1. Therefore, the final answer is not affected by this value and can be ignored.
ThatOneGuy

Homework Statement

Evaluate the Improper integral [4,13] 1/(x-5)1/3

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_3094.JPG

In step 1, I split the integral into two separate integrals because at x=5, it would be undefined. I made the first limit approach 5 from the left and the second limit approach five from the right.

For step 2, I did u substitution to prepare to integrate. Since I did the substitution, I plugged the old intervals into u = x - 5 to get the new ones.

For step 3, I rewrote both integrals in terms of u du and brought the u^(1/3) from the denominator to the numerator for easier integration. I also added the new intervals in.

In step 4, I integrated both integrals.

Step 5 is where I'm not sure what to do. I plugged in the values and that is what I ended up with but in the first parentheses, the second value has a (-1)2/3 which is undefined. The (R-5)'s will equal 0 and cancel those fractions out but I don't know how to handle the (-1)2/3.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThatOneGuy said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the Improper integral [4,13] 1/(x-5)1/3

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 81908
In step 1, I split the integral into two separate integrals because at x=5, it would be undefined. I made the first limit approach 5 from the left and the second limit approach five from the right.

For step 2, I did u substitution to prepare to integrate. Since I did the substitution, I plugged the old intervals into u = x - 5 to get the new ones.

For step 3, I rewrote both integrals in terms of u du and brought the u^(1/3) from the denominator to the numerator for easier integration. I also added the new intervals in.

In step 4, I integrated both integrals.

Step 5 is where I'm not sure what to do. I plugged in the values and that is what I ended up with but in the first parentheses, the second value has a (-1)2/3 which is undefined. The (R-5)'s will equal 0 and cancel those fractions out but I don't know how to handle the (-1)2/3.
##(-1)^{2/3}## is defined -- its value is 1.

You can work with it either as ##[(-1)^2]^{1/3} = 1^{1/3} = 1## or as ##[(-1)^{1/3}]^2 = (-1)^2 = 1##.

Likes ThatOneGuy

Related to Evaluate the Improper integral [4,13] 1/(x-5)^(1/3)

1. What does it mean to evaluate an improper integral?

Evaluating an improper integral involves finding the exact numerical value of the integral when one or both of the limits of integration is either infinite or undefined.

2. Why is this integral considered improper?

This integral is considered improper because the lower limit of integration, 4, is less than the discontinuity point of the function, which is at x=5.

3. Can the improper integral be solved using traditional integration methods?

No, traditional integration methods such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus cannot be applied to improper integrals. Instead, special techniques such as limit comparison or integration by parts may be used.

4. What is the process for evaluating this improper integral?

The process for evaluating this improper integral involves taking the limit as the upper limit of integration, 13, approaches the discontinuity point at x=5. This limit can then be evaluated using one of the techniques mentioned above.

5. Is the value of this improper integral finite or infinite?

The value of this improper integral is infinite. This can be seen from the fact that the denominator of the integrand approaches 0 as x approaches 5, causing the overall value of the integral to become unbounded.