Evaluate the following triple integral

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates for a finite region bounded by the surfaces z=0, y=x^3, y=8, z=x. The element of volume is also given as dV. The speaker mentions having trouble setting up the limits of integration and asks for suggestions on how to approach the problem. The expert suggests plotting the surfaces and studying their intersections before attempting the algebra.
caesius

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following triple integral

[tex]I = \int\int\int_{R}x dv[/tex]

in Cartesian coordinates where R is the finite region bounded by the surfaces z=0, y=x^3, y=8, z=x. Sketch the region R. Here dV is the element of volume.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm having trouble with is setting up the limits of integration.

I already have
0 < z < x
x^3 < y < 8

but what about x?

And how do I know that the y and z limits are that way around and not x < z < 0 and 8 < y < x^3 instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those inequalities do NOT describe a bounded region. Aren't there additonal restrictions?

Hello Caesius.

May I make a suggestion I think would be helpful to you?

Suppose all you had to do was to plot the surfaces. Never mind (for now) the integration. Could you do that, nicely? The surface z=0 is just the x-y plane right. The surface y=x^3 is a paraboloid sheet, and z=x is a diagonal flat sheet. Suppose that was the only assignment, draw these three surfaces together, transparently so you could see where they intersect, and do it nicely. Then study them, closely, rotate the figure around interactively (you can do that in Mathematica), note the intersections, then go through the algebra proving your observations, then come back and answer your question. :)

Related to Evaluate the following triple integral

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an integral with three variables and three corresponding limits of integration. It is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space.

How do you evaluate a triple integral?

To evaluate a triple integral, you must first determine the order of integration and set up the integral using the appropriate limits of integration. Then, you can solve the integral using various methods such as using a graphing calculator or using integration techniques.

What is the difference between a triple integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral has two variables and two corresponding limits of integration, while a triple integral has three variables and three corresponding limits of integration. A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a triple integral calculates the volume of a three-dimensional region.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass of an object with varying density, determining the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and finding the electric charge of a three-dimensional distribution.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral include using the wrong order of integration, setting up the integrand incorrectly, and using the wrong limits of integration. It is important to double-check all steps and ensure that the integral is set up correctly before solving.