Evaluate Multiple Integrals with Polar Coordinates

In summary, the homework statement is that by changing to polar coordinates, evaluate:\int\int e ^(-\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}) dx dyBoth integrals go from 0 --> infinity.
Blamo_slamo

Homework Statement

By changing to polar coordinates, evaluate:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] e ^(-[tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]) dx dy

Both integrals go from 0 --> infinity

Homework Equations

r = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

x = r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

y = r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

Using the Jacobian to switch to polar coord we get:

J = r d[tex]\theta[/tex] dr

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] e ^ (-r) r d[tex]\theta[/tex] dr

I have my integral set up, but I have no clue what the integration limits are. My prof. said this is always the hardest part of multiple integrals, any help hinting in the right direction would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Blamo_slamo! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a theta: θ and an infinity: ∞ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Blamo_slamo said:
Both integrals go from 0 --> infinity

I have my integral set up, but I have no clue what the integration limits are. My prof. said this is always the hardest part of multiple integrals, any help hinting in the right direction would be great!

x and y each go from 0 to ∞.

So what does the region look like?

Then where does r go from?

And then where does θ go from? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
So what does the region look like?

So this region has a peak at x = y = 0, and it's at 1. The region also slopes off to 0, as both x, and y go to ∞

tiny-tim said:
Then where does r go from?

I'm still not entirely sure on this, but technically the original function runs off to infinity, as it gets closer and closer to 0, so would r then be from ∞ --> 1? This is an even function, so I can just say it runs over that interval and take a 2 out in front right?

tiny-tim said:
And then where does θ go from?

This one just completes the circle right? So it would go from 0 --> 2π

Blamo_slamo said:
So this region has a peak at x = y = 0, and it's at 1. The region also slopes off to 0, as both x, and y go to ∞

… technically the original function runs off to infinity, as it gets closer and closer to 0, so would r then be from ∞ --> 1? …

no no no no noforget the function, for the limits, you're only interested in the region

the region is the whole of the first quadrant … 0 ≤ x ≤ ∞ and 0 ≤ y ≤ ∞

so what is that in terms of r and θ ? :smile:

Would it be reliable, if I just subbed in the bounds of x and y, in r?

e.g. r2 = x2 + y2
so as 0 ≤ x ≤ ∞ and 0 ≤ y ≤ ∞; r would then go from 0 ≤ r ≤ ∞ ?

and as you explained, we're only looking at the first quadrant, so 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2 ?

(just got up :zzz: …)
Blamo_slamo said:
Would it be reliable, if I just subbed in the bounds of x and y, in r?

e.g. r2 = x2 + y2
so as 0 ≤ x ≤ ∞ and 0 ≤ y ≤ ∞; r would then go from 0 ≤ r ≤ ∞ ?

and as you explained, we're only looking at the first quadrant, so 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2 ?

Yup! :biggrin:

That's exactly the way to do it! :smile:

:smile: Thanks a lot tiny-tim!

Related to Evaluate Multiple Integrals with Polar Coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle from a fixed reference line (known as the polar axis).

2. How are polar coordinates used in multiple integrals?

In multiple integrals, polar coordinates are used to evaluate integrals over regions that have circular or symmetric shapes. This is because polar coordinates are better suited for describing circular or symmetric regions compared to rectangular coordinates.

3. What is the formula for converting from rectangular to polar coordinates?

The formula for converting from rectangular coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ) is r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = tan^-1(y/x). This formula can be derived using basic trigonometry.

4. What is the process for evaluating a multiple integral in polar coordinates?

The process for evaluating a multiple integral in polar coordinates involves converting the given function and limits of integration from rectangular to polar coordinates. Then, the integral is solved using the appropriate techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric identities.

5. What are some applications of using polar coordinates in multiple integrals?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving circular or symmetric objects, such as the gravitational force between two objects or the electric field around a charged particle. They are also used in statistics and finance to analyze and model cyclical patterns, such as stock market fluctuations.