Evaluate a length on a quadric surface

In summary, a sheet (Monge's) surface is defined as a quadric surface with a curvature matrix. To evaluate the length of a curve on this surface, you need to use the arc length formula and the chain rule to calculate the partial derivatives of z with respect to x and y.
Hash
Hello,I define a sheet (Monge's) surface as [tex]z=z(x,y)[/tex] where z(x,y) is a quadric defined by :

[tex]z=-\, \frac{1}{2} \mathbf{x}^T \mathbb{Q} \mathbf{x} [/tex]

where [tex]\mathbf{x}^T=[x, y] [/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] a (symetric but not diagonal) curvature matrix.

I've attached to this post a figure to describe the geometry.

My question is : how can I manage to evaluate s(x,y) (the length of the red curve), knowing x and y (the red curve is starting from the origin) ? I think s(x,y) can be evaluate by a curvilinear integral, but I don't know how to write it...
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Attachments

• geometrie_conforme.png
    geometrie_conforme.png
    10 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is that you need to use the formula for arc length which is:s(x,y) = \int_{0}^{y} \sqrt{1 + (\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})^2 + (\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})^2}dxWhere z=z(x,y) is your Monge's surface. You can then use the chain rule to evaluate the partial derivatives of z with respect to x and y.Hope this helps!

Hello,

Thank you for providing the definition and figure for the quadric surface you are working with. Evaluating a length on a quadric surface can be done using a curvilinear integral, as you mentioned. The general formula for a curvilinear integral is:

\int_C ds = \int_a^b \sqrt{dx^2 + dy^2}

where C is the curve, a and b are the starting and ending points, and ds is the infinitesimal length element of the curve.

In your case, the curve you are interested in is the red curve starting from the origin. To evaluate the length of this curve, you will need to first parameterize the curve. This can be done by defining x and y in terms of a parameter t, such as x(t) and y(t). Then, you can plug these parameterized values into the general formula for the curvilinear integral to find the length of the curve.

For example, if your parameterization is x(t) = t and y(t) = t^2, then the length of the curve from t=0 to t=1 would be:

\int_0^1 \sqrt{(dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2} dt = \int_0^1 \sqrt{1 + 4t^2} dt

This integral can then be evaluated using integration techniques to find the length of the curve.

I hope this helps you to evaluate the length of the red curve on your quadric surface. Best of luck in your calculations!

Related to Evaluate a length on a quadric surface

1. What is a quadric surface?

A quadric surface is a three-dimensional surface that can be defined by a second-degree polynomial equation in three variables. It can take various shapes such as a sphere, cylinder, cone, or paraboloid.

2. How do you evaluate a length on a quadric surface?

To evaluate a length on a quadric surface, you first need to identify the type of quadric surface and the equation that represents it. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as calculus to determine the length of a curve or distance between two points on the surface.

3. What are some common quadric surfaces?

Some common quadric surfaces include spheres, cylinders, cones, and paraboloids. These shapes can be formed by intersecting a plane with a double cone or by rotating a curve around an axis.

4. Can all lengths be evaluated on a quadric surface?

No, not all lengths can be evaluated on a quadric surface. Some lengths may not have a precise mathematical solution, while others may require advanced mathematical techniques to determine.

5. What are the practical applications of evaluating lengths on quadric surfaces?

Evaluating lengths on quadric surfaces is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can help in calculating distances in 3D space, determining the curvature of surfaces, and creating realistic 3D models.