Evaluate a fraction in a definite integral?

In summary, the conversation is about someone requesting help to understand how to evaluate a fraction in a definite integral. They mention using the substitution law and getting stuck in the process. The expert advises using division instead of substitution and clarifies that there is no "substitution law," just a technique for evaluating integrals.
lilypeach
I don't understand how to evaluate a fraction in a definite integral, could anyone please explain this problem to me?

int. between 3 (lower integral) and 4 (upper integral) of 3x^2+2/x^2

I thought of using the substitution law, and got as far as 1/6 u * du/x ...I don't quite know how to proceed...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
lilypeach said:
I don't understand how to evaluate a fraction in a definite integral, could anyone please explain this problem to me?

int. between 3 (lower integral) and 4 (upper integral) of 3x^2+2/x^2

I thought of using the substitution law, and got as far as 1/6 u * du/x ...I don't quite know how to proceed...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

The most obvious approach is to divide 3x2 + 2 by x2. I'm assuming that you meant (3x2 + 2)/x2. A literal interpretation of what you wrote would be 3x2 + (2/x2). You don't need to use substitution.

BTW, there is no "substitution law." It's just a technique for evaluating integrals.

thank you!

Related to Evaluate a fraction in a definite integral?

1. What does it mean to evaluate a fraction in a definite integral?

Evaluating a fraction in a definite integral means to find the numerical value of the fraction within the boundaries of the integral. This involves using the properties of integrals and basic algebra to simplify and solve the fraction.

2. How do you evaluate a fraction in a definite integral?

To evaluate a fraction in a definite integral, you must first rewrite the integral in a form where the fraction is in the numerator and the denominator is a power of x. Then, you can use the power rule or substitution to simplify the integral and solve for the fraction.

3. Why is it important to evaluate a fraction in a definite integral?

Evaluating a fraction in a definite integral allows us to find the exact numerical value of the integral, which is important in many applications of mathematics and science. It also helps to understand the behavior of the function within the boundaries of the integral.

4. Can you evaluate a fraction in a definite integral without using algebra?

No, algebra is necessary to evaluate a fraction in a definite integral. This is because the properties of integrals and algebraic rules are needed to simplify the integral and solve for the fraction.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a fraction in a definite integral?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify the integral before solving for the fraction. It's also important to keep track of the boundaries of the integral and make sure they are properly included in the final answer. Additionally, it's important to check for any potential discontinuities or undefined points in the function that could affect the value of the integral.