Euler Lagrange Derivation (Taylor Series)

In summary: Think of this not as the partial derivative of ##L## with respect to ##y##, but the function formed by taking the partial derivative of ##L## with respect to its first argument.Geometrically ##y(x)## is a function of ##x## and you can think this as subset of the euclidean space, as the graph of a function on the plane for example. The derivative ##\dot{y}(x)## represent the tangent direction of the graph of the function at the point ##x##. So ##\dot{y}(x)## generate the tangent space of ##y(x)## at ##x##. In general they lives in two different spaces...
bananabandana
Mod note: Moved from Homework section
1. Homework Statement

Understand most of the derivation of the E-L just fine, but am confused about the fact that we can somehow Taylor expand ##L## in this way:

$$ L\bigg[ y+\alpha\eta(x),y'+\alpha \eta^{'}(x),x\bigg] = L \bigg[ y, y',x\bigg] + \frac{\partial L}{\partial y} \alpha \eta(x) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial y'} \alpha \eta^{'} + O^{2}(\alpha \eta) $$

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that you can treat whole functions as independent of each other (when they are clearly not). I've looked up a lot of derivations online & from textbooks and none of them seem to bother to explain this. Am I missing something obvious? Surely the fact that ## y=f(x,t,\alpha )## should be taken into account somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expansion looks ok. What dependence are you concerned about?

Yes, it is exactly the Taylor expansion of ##L\left[y+\alpha\eta(x),y'+\alpha\eta'(x),x\right]## at the point ##(y,y',x)##, obviously the term with the partial derivative of ##x## there isn't because ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\cdot(x-x)=0##...

Ssnow said:
Yes, it is exactly the Taylor expansion of ##L\left[y+\alpha\eta(x),y'+\alpha\eta'(x),x\right]## at the point ##(y,y',x)##, obviously the term with the partial derivative of ##x## there isn't because ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\cdot(x-x)=0##...

Yes, I know, but why are we allowed to treat ##y(x)## and ##\dot{y}(x)## as independent variables? (as we are required to do for the Taylor series?) They clearly aren't independent.

bananabandana said:
Yes, I know, but why are we allowed to treat ##y(x)## and ##\dot{y}(x)## as independent variables? (as we are required to do for the Taylor series?) They clearly aren't independent.

What's happening is that the symbols ##y, \dot{y}, x## are being used for two purposes. I'm only on my phone so it's difficult to type a lot of latex. Consider ##L## as any function of three variables. To be clear we will define ##L## using dummy variables ##X,Y,Z##

E.g we could define ##L(X,Y,Z) = X^2 + XYZ##

Now, we have three more functions by taking the partial derivatives of ##L##:

##L_X, L_Y, L_Z##

Using this notation for simplicity.

Finally, we can do the following Taylor expansion for ##L##

##L(X_0 + a, Y_0 + b, Z_0 + c) = L(X_0, Y_0, Z_0) + aL_X + bL_Y + cL_Z + \dots##

And that hold for any numerical values we choose for ##X_0, Y_0, Z_0, a, b, c##. In other words, that equation holds for whatever expressions we plug into replace the dummy variables we've used.

In this case, the expressions happen to be expressions in ##x,y, \dot{y}, \eta##.

Likes Fervent Freyja
PS I forgot to mention:
## \frac{\partial L}{\partial y}##

Think of this not as the partial derivative of ##L## with respect to ##y##, but the function formed by taking the partial derivative of ##L## with respect to its first argument.

Geometrically ##y(x)## is a function of ##x## and you can think this as subset of the euclidean space, as the graph of a function on the plane for example. The derivative ##\dot{y}(x)## represent the tangent direction of the graph of the function at the point ##x##. So ##\dot{y}(x)## generate the tangent space of ##y(x)## at ##x##. In general they lives in two different spaces...

Related to Euler Lagrange Derivation (Taylor Series)

What is the Euler Lagrange Derivation?

The Euler Lagrange derivation is a mathematical technique used to find the equations of motion for a system. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving calculus of variations.

How does the Euler Lagrange Derivation work?

The derivation involves finding the stationary points of a functional, which is a mathematical expression that depends on a function. This is done by applying the Euler Lagrange equations, which are a set of differential equations that relate the derivative of the functional to the derivative of the function.

What is the Taylor Series expansion?

The Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a particular point. It is a useful tool for approximating complicated functions and can be used to derive the Euler Lagrange equations.

Why is the Taylor Series used in the Euler Lagrange Derivation?

The Taylor Series is used to approximate the functional in the Euler Lagrange equations. This allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to the equations of motion.

What are the applications of the Euler Lagrange Derivation?

The Euler Lagrange derivation has many applications in physics and engineering, including in the field of mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points.