Euler equations with Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0

In summary, it is not possible for an Euler equation to satisfy the boundary conditions Y(1)=0, Y(2)=0. There are only three possible solutions to the equation, and one of them is Y=0.
gerald87
Is it possible for an Euler equation to satisfy the boundary conditions Y(1)=0, Y(2)=0?

I have considered the three possibilities, distinct real roots, repeated roots and conjugate complex roots and cannot find any solutions.

Are there any other possibilities to consider?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you write the equation here?

Hi Eli,

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question.

I am not talking about a specific Euler equation, but the general Euler equation,

X^2Y'' + AXY' +BY = 0.

I understand that there are three possible solutions for Y;
Y=c1x^m1 + c2x^m2 for distinct roots
Y=[c1 + c2ln(x)]x^m for repeated roots
or Y=[c1cos(bln(x))+c2sin(bln(x))]x^a for complex conjugate roots

When I put the boundary conditions Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0 into each of the possible solutions of Y, the only solution I can get is Y=0.

Are there any other possible solutions to an euler-cauchy problem than the three I mentioned above that should be considered?

Thanks

Hi,

I have a question relating to the Euler equation,

X^2Y'' + AXY' +BY = 0.

I understand that there are three possible solutions for Y;
Y=c1x^m1 + c2x^m2 for distinct roots
Y=[c1 + c2ln(x)]x^m for repeated roots
or Y=[c1cos(bln(x))+c2sin(bln(x))]x^a for complex conjugate roots

I am to determine whether or not there are solutions (real or imaginary), other than Y=0 to an euler Equation which satisfies the boundary conditions Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0.

When I put the boundary conditions Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0 into each of the possible solutions of Y, the only solution I can get is Y=0.

Are there any other possible solutions to an euler-cauchy problem than the three I mentioned above that should be considered?

I have noticed in every boundary value euler cauchy problem has the boundary conditions with Y and the derivative of Y, rather than Y in both. Could this mean there are no solutions?

I hope this makes sense, I am a little confused by this problem.

Thanks

Before you evaluate the boundary conditions, you have two linearly independent solutions in each case, which is all you can expect. If you show in each case that your conditions give only the trivial solution you are done.

What you have here is a boundary value problem (boundary conditions at two different points) as opposed to an initial value problem where the two conditions are at the same point. In a homogeneous boundary value problem like you have here, Y identically zero always works. And if you would have found a nontrivial solution satisfying the boundary conditions, then any constant times it would have also worked.

Thanks for the help.

What would happen if A and B in the initial equation were not real numbers?

Would it still be considered an euler equation? or would it have to be solved in a different way?

Thanks again.

Can't you get a non-trivial solution in the last case if b turned out to be a multiple of [itex]\pi/\log 2[/itex]? I'm assuming in this problem you have the freedom to adjust A and B to get the roots you want.

No. In order to have pure trig function (of ln(x)) solution, without a "x-B" term, you would have to have B= 0. But in that case, the characteristic equation is r2+ (A- 1)r= 0 which has roots r= 0 and r= 1- A, still not giving a periodic solution.

I didn't have a pure trig function solution in mind. I was thinking of something like [itex]y=c |x|^{\alpha} \sin(\pi \log |x|/\log 2)[/itex]. It would vanish at both x=1 and x=2.

vela said:
I didn't have a pure trig function solution in mind. I was thinking of something like [itex]y=c |x|^{\alpha} \sin(\pi \log |x|/\log 2)[/itex]. It would vanish at both x=1 and x=2.
Ah, thanks.

This same question was asked in "Differential Equations" so I merged the two threads.
gerald87, please do NOT post the same question repeatedly.

thankyou so much for the help guys.

I think I have got it under control now.

And sorry about the double posts.

Related to Euler equations with Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0

1. What are the Euler equations?

The Euler equations are a set of differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid in terms of its velocity, pressure, and density. They are named after Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, who first derived them in the 18th century.

2. What do Y(1) = 0 and Y(2) = 0 mean in the context of Euler equations?

In the Euler equations, Y(1) and Y(2) refer to the first and second derivatives of the fluid's velocity, respectively. The conditions Y(1) = 0 and Y(2) = 0 mean that the velocity and acceleration of the fluid are both equal to zero at a given point in space and time.

3. What is the significance of Y(1) = 0 and Y(2) = 0 in fluid dynamics?

Y(1) = 0 and Y(2) = 0 are known as the "no-slip" boundary conditions in fluid dynamics. This means that at the boundary of a solid object, the fluid's velocity and acceleration must both be zero. These conditions are important for accurately modeling the behavior of fluids in contact with solid surfaces.

4. How are Euler equations with Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0 used in practical applications?

Euler equations with Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0 are commonly used in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. These simulations are used to study the behavior of fluids in various scenarios, such as air flow around an airplane wing or water flow in a pipe. By solving the Euler equations with appropriate boundary conditions, CFD can provide valuable insights into the behavior of fluids in real-world situations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler equations with Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0?

While Euler equations with Y(1) = 0, Y(2) = 0 are useful for many applications, they have some limitations. For example, they assume that the fluid is inviscid (has no internal friction) and incompressible (has constant density). In reality, most fluids have some viscosity and can be compressed, so these assumptions may not always hold. Additionally, Euler equations do not take into account other factors such as turbulence, which may be important in certain situations.