Euler Circuits and Vertices of Even Degree: Proof and Counter-Proof

In summary, If a connected graph has a Euler circuit then all its vertices have even degree. The converse of this statement is also true, as proven by induction on the number of edges. This proof involves starting with a graph with one edge and showing that it has a loop at one vertex, thus proving the statement for this case. Then, by considering the inductive step and the existence of a loop formed by paths traversed between repeated visits to a vertex, it can be shown that a graph with even degree vertices also has an Euler circuit. This proof can be found in various elementary math textbooks or by searching for "bridges of Konigsberg" on Google.
MathNerd
If a connected graph has a Euler circuit then this implies that all the vertices of the graph have even degree. Is the converse of this argument true? i.e. If a connected graph only contains vertices of even degree does this imply it contains an Euler Circuit?

Could somebody please show me a proof (or counter-proof) of the above statement or at least direct me to a website that contains such a proof?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
well i believe it is well known that this is true so let's just prove it. maybe induction would work. so start with a graph with one edge, then it has to be a loop at one vertex hence it is true. oir do you allow loops?

if not then we have at least two edges and two vertices and it again appears true. Ok now let's see,... how do we make the inductive step? well heck it seems obvious how to prove it... just start walking around the graph, beginning from anywhere. If we ever arrive twice at the same vertex say A, then there is a loop formed by the paths traversed between our first and second arrivals at A. Since no other path has ever been visited twice, this loop is a chain of paths formed by entering and leaving certain vertices.

now erase all those poaths in that loop. That diminishes each vertex visited by exactly two edges. so we are left again with an even graph, possibly not connected. still by induction on the number of edges, every connected component of it has an euler circuit presumably beginning anywhere. so we seem to be able to cobble these together to get an euler circuit of the whole thing. well pretty ugly so far, but it seems perhaps true.

this is probab;ly proved in essentially any book on elementary math, or just type in "bridges of konigsberg" to google.

gee, the coverage on the websites i found was so shallow that none proved the converse. but i think my argument essentially proves it. i.e. removing the partial circuit described, leaves a finite number of connected graphs, all even, so just go around your partial circuit and take side trips around any connected component of the complement as you come tot hem.

'note that you may assume by induction that a circuit of an even graph may start and end anywhere. or just observe that this is obvious if there exists a circuit at all.

Related to Euler Circuits and Vertices of Even Degree: Proof and Counter-Proof

1. What is an Euler circuit?

An Euler circuit is a path in a graph that visits every vertex exactly once and ends at the starting vertex. It is named after the mathematician Leonhard Euler.

2. What is a vertex of even degree?

A vertex of even degree is a vertex in a graph that is connected to an even number of edges. This means that the number of edges that meet at the vertex is divisible by 2.

3. What is the proof for the existence of Euler circuits in graphs with all vertices of even degree?

The proof for the existence of Euler circuits in graphs with all vertices of even degree is based on the concept of a closed trail. If all vertices have even degree, then it is possible to trace a path through the graph, visiting each edge exactly once, and ending at the starting vertex. This path is known as an Euler circuit.

4. What is a counter-proof for the existence of Euler circuits in graphs with even degree vertices?

A counter-proof for the existence of Euler circuits in graphs with even degree vertices is a graph with all vertices of even degree, but no Euler circuit. This is possible when the graph is not connected or has multiple disconnected components.

5. How can the existence of Euler circuits be used in practical applications?

The existence of Euler circuits can be used in practical applications such as route planning and network design. By finding an Euler circuit in a graph that represents a network of roads or connections, the most efficient route or design can be determined. This can also be applied in computer science for optimizing circuit layouts and data flow.