Euclidean vectors math to find coordinates for vector

In summary, the conversation is about solving three questions related to Euclidean vectors in a coordinate system. The first question asks for the coordinates of vector r-s+t, which are (9,19) and (-5,11). The second question asks for the length of vector r-s+t, which is (10,52). The third question asks for the angle that vector r-s+t creates with the x-axis, which is 330.92 degrees. The solution involves using the formulas for finding x and y components of a vector and setting them equal to the given values.
mimi.janson

Homework Statement

I have this question about Euclidean vectors.
in a coordinate system vector r and s and t are given . (there is an arrow on top of r, s and t but i can't put it in
l r l is 3,48 and creates an angle of 44,3 degrees with x (x is a straight horizontal line)
l s l is 4,16 and creates an angle of 116,8 degrees with x
l t l is 6,16 and creates an angle of 321,6 degrees with x

FIRST question )
Find out what the coordinates for vector r-s+t are ? i know that the answer must be

(9,19
-5,11)
But i don't really know how i can get the result step by step

SECOND question)
Find l r-s+t l (there is arrow on r,s,t again so here they ask about the length)
the result must be (10,52) but again ...i don't know how to show it and calculate it step by step

THIRD question)
i have to find the angle that r-s+t creates with the x- axe but the result has to be 330,92 and i cannot understand this too since i get the wrong result

so if anyone is nice and clever PLEASE help me understand how you can solve these three questions step by step

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried a lot of my formulas to understand it but it seems like you have to mix them together which is the hard part to understand .

if it was only plus i know that i had to use the cos relation
a2= b2+c2- 2*a*b*cosA
but i think something is wrong because i don't really understand what to do about the minus .

Physics news on Phys.org
mimi.janson said:

Homework Statement

I have this question about Euclidean vectors.
in a coordinate system vector r and s and t are given . (there is an arrow on top of r, s and t but i can't put it in
l r l is 3,48 and creates an angle of 44,3 degrees with x (x is a straight horizontal line)
l s l is 4,16 and creates an angle of 116,8 degrees with x
l t l is 6,16 and creates an angle of 321,6 degrees with x

FIRST question )
Find out what the coordinates for vector r-s+t are ? i know that the answer must be

(9,19
-5,11)
But i don't really know how i can get the result step by step

SECOND question)
Find l r-s+t l (there is arrow on r,s,t again so here they ask about the length)
the result must be (10,52) but again ...i don't know how to show it and calculate it step by step

THIRD question)
i have to find the angle that r-s+t creates with the x- axe but the result has to be 330,92 and i cannot understand this too since i get the wrong result

so if anyone is nice and clever PLEASE help me understand how you can solve these three questions step by step

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried a lot of my formulas to understand it but it seems like you have to mix them together which is the hard part to understand .

if it was only plus i know that i had to use the cos relation
a2= b2+c2- 2*a*b*cosA
but i think something is wrong because i don't really understand what to do about the minus .
First of all: If you can't put an arrow above the symbol, it's common to put vectors in bold font.

Also, many who use this Forum, use a decimal point ' . 'rather than a comma ' , ' .

I assume the specified angles are counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) with respect to the positive x-axis.

To find the x component, rx, of vector, r, if it makes an angle of θ w.r.t. the +x-axis, use:
[itex]r_x=|\vec{r}|\cos(\theta)\,.[/itex]​

Similarly, the y component is given by:
[itex]r_y=|\vec{r}|\sin(\theta)\,.[/itex]​

That should get you started.

SammyS said:
First of all: If you can't put an arrow above the symbol, it's common to put vectors in bold font.

Also, many who use this Forum, use a decimal point ' . 'rather than a comma ' , ' .

I assume the specified angles are counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) with respect to the positive x-axis.

To find the x component, rx, of vector, r, if it makes an angle of θ w.r.t. the +x-axis, use:
[itex]r_x=|\vec{r}|\cos(\theta)\,.[/itex]​

Similarly, the y component is given by:
[itex]r_y=|\vec{r}|\sin(\theta)\,.[/itex]​

That should get you started.

yes thank you alot

Related to Euclidean vectors math to find coordinates for vector

1. What is a Euclidean vector?

A Euclidean vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you find the coordinates for a vector?

To find the coordinates for a vector, you need to know the starting and ending points of the vector. The coordinates of the starting point are usually labeled as (x1, y1) and the coordinates of the ending point are labeled as (x2, y2). The coordinates for the vector are then calculated by subtracting the x-coordinates and y-coordinates separately. For example, the x-coordinate for the vector would be x2 - x1 and the y-coordinate would be y2 - y1.

3. What is the difference between a position vector and a direction vector?

A position vector indicates the position of a point in relation to the origin of a coordinate system. It has both magnitude and direction. A direction vector, on the other hand, only represents the direction of a vector and has no specific starting point. It does not have a magnitude and is often used to describe a change in position or direction.

4. How do you add and subtract vectors using coordinates?

To add or subtract vectors using coordinates, you simply add or subtract the corresponding x-coordinates and y-coordinates separately. For example, to add two vectors with coordinates (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), you would add the x-coordinates together and the y-coordinates together to get the coordinates of the resultant vector.

5. Can you find the magnitude and direction of a vector using its coordinates?

Yes, the magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components (x and y coordinates). The direction of a vector can be found by using trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine. The direction is usually given in degrees or radians.