Estimation with a log-likelihood function

In summary, the conversation discusses a time series problem involving an AR(1) model with a gamma distribution for the error term. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to handle the gamma function in the log likelihood function for the model parameters. The suggested approaches include using properties of the gamma function or using numerical optimization methods to find maximum likelihood estimates.
blehbleh

Homework Statement

Hi, I am trying to solve a time series problem but I am stuck with a function I am not used to work with. I have a basic model AR(1) where e(t) has mean 0 and variance σ^2. The issue is that (e)t follows the density function attached to the post and it's causing me issues because of the gamma function with the (1/L) after. Does anyone know how I need to handle that part of the function to build my log likelihood function for (d,B,σ^2) ? L=Lambda (is a known parameter), G=gamma function, o is sigma

Homework Equations

y(t)=d +B(yt-1)+e(t) model

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have tried so far has let me with the following:

-2/3 ln 2L - ln G(1/L) - Sum(t=2, T) (yt-d-B(yt-1))^L/(2o^2)^(1/2) - (y1-d/(1-B))^L / (2o^2/(1-B^2))^(1/2)Is this way of handling the density function with the Gamma correct (basically ignoring it as it goes away after the derivatives)? If not could anyone shed some light on the way I should approach this to solve it?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• F.jpg
    F.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track with your attempt at the solution. The gamma function in the density function is often used to represent the shape of the distribution, so it is important to take it into consideration when building your log likelihood function.

One possible approach would be to use the properties of the gamma function to simplify the expression. For example, you could use the identity: ln(G(1/L)) = -ln(L) + ln(G(L)) to combine the two terms. Additionally, you could use the fact that the gamma function satisfies the property: G(x+1) = xG(x), which may help simplify the expression further.

Another approach could be to use a numerical optimization method, such as maximum likelihood estimation, to find the maximum likelihood estimates of the parameters d, B, and σ^2. This would involve setting up the likelihood function, taking the derivative with respect to each parameter, and solving for the values that maximize the likelihood.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to Estimation with a log-likelihood function

1. What is a log-likelihood function?

A log-likelihood function is a mathematical function used in statistics to measure the probability of a set of data given a specific set of parameter values. It is often used in maximum likelihood estimation to find the most likely values for the parameters of a statistical model.

2. How is the log-likelihood function used in estimation?

The log-likelihood function is used to find the maximum likelihood estimates for the parameters of a statistical model. This involves taking the natural logarithm of the likelihood function and then maximizing it by varying the parameters until the highest possible value is achieved. This allows for the most accurate estimation of the parameters.

3. What are the advantages of using a log-likelihood function in estimation?

One advantage of using a log-likelihood function is that it simplifies the process of finding the maximum likelihood estimates for the parameters of a model. It also allows for easier comparison of different models, as the log-likelihood values can be directly compared. Additionally, the log-likelihood function is robust to outliers and does not assume a normal distribution of the data.

4. Are there any limitations to using a log-likelihood function in estimation?

One limitation of using a log-likelihood function is that it assumes that the errors in the data are independent and identically distributed. This may not always be the case in real-world data. Additionally, the log-likelihood function may not be able to handle missing data or incomplete datasets.

5. How can the log-likelihood function be interpreted?

The log-likelihood function can be interpreted as a measure of how well the chosen statistical model fits the given data. A higher log-likelihood value indicates a better fit, while a lower value indicates a poorer fit. This allows for the comparison of different models to determine which one best describes the data.