Estimation of the Operator norm

OK, I don't know if this is technically correct ... but I was going to say "the operator norm is dependent on the norms chosen for the domain and range of the operator."
naaa00

Homework Statement

L : R^n → R is defined L(x1 , . . . , xn ) = sum (xj) from j=1 to n.

The problem statement asks me to find an estimation for the operation norm of L, where
on R the norm ll . llp, 1 ≤ p ≤ ∞, is used and on R the absolute value.

The Attempt at a Solution

from,

ll Lv lly ≤ M ll v llx

I plan to find the smallest ''M'' since that's the operator norm.

I assume that the linear operator is continuous.

The problem statement mentions the Hölder inequality - as a hint.

The truth is that I'm not sure what exactly I have to do in order to show what I plan to do. I have tried to do something but get stucked at the very begining...

Any help will be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
naaa00 said:
I plan to find the smallest ''M'' since that's the operator norm.

The fact that the problem asks you to estimate the operator norm is an indication that this plan is unrealistic. You're just meant to find a "good" upper bound for ## M ##.

naaa00 said:
I assume that the linear operator is continuous.

Not that it's part of the problem, but you should be able to prove (easily) that ## L ## is continuous and linear.

naaa00 said:
The problem statement mentions the Hölder inequality - as a hint.

This is a big part of the solution. If I give you ## \sum |x_k|=\sum |x_k\cdot 1| ## and tell you to apply Holder to the right hand side, is that enough to get you started?

Hello. Thanks for your answer!

Well, I applied Hölder's inequality. Then I found that the p-norm of L times the p-norm of 1 is bigger than L. Then by the definition of the operator norm, I can say that the right hand of the inequality is indeed the operator norm?

Close. It sounds like you're getting your norms mixed up. In this case, we have the usual norm ## |\cdot| ## on ## \mathbf{R} ##. There is a norm ## \|\cdot\|_p ## on ## \mathbf{R}^n ## defined by ## \|\mathbf{x}\|_p=\left(\sum|x_k|^p\right)^{\frac{1}{p}} ##. There is also the (induced by ## p ##) operator norm ## \|\cdot\|_{Op} ## defined on the set of bounded linear operators. For a bounded linear operator ## L:\mathbf{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbf{R} ##, ##\|L\|_{Op}=\min\{M: |L(\mathbf{x})|\leq M\cdot\|\mathbf{x}\|_p ## for all ## \mathbf{x}\} ##. Note all of the different norms going on in this definition. You really got to pay attention to what you're doing here.

Also, it looks like you're a bit mixed up on Holder's inequality, which states the following:

For ## \frac{1}{p}+\frac{1}{q}=1 ##, ## \sum |x_k\cdot y_k|\leq\left(\sum|x_k|^p\right)^{\frac{1}{p}} \cdot \left(\sum|y_k|^q\right)^{\frac{1}{q}} ##AVERT YOUR EYES IF YOU WISH TO FINISH ON YOUR OWNHere's how the solution should look.

For a fixed ## p ##, let ## q ## be such that ## \frac{1}{p}+\frac{1}{q}=1 ##.

Then for all ## \mathbf{x} ##,

## |L(\mathbf{x})|=|\sum x_k|\leq_{\triangle}\sum|x_k|= \sum |x_k\cdot1|\leq_H\left(\sum|x_k|^p\right)^{\frac{1}{p}} \cdot \left(\sum|1|^q\right)^{\frac{1}{q}}=\|\mathbf{x} \|_p\cdot n^{\frac{1}{q}}= n^{1-\frac{1}{p}}\cdot\|\mathbf{x}\|_p##, where ##\leq_\triangle## and ##\leq_H## indicate inequality due to triangle and Holder inequalities respectively.

So ##\|L\|_{Op}\leq n^{1-\frac{1}{p}}##.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll try to be more aware with the meaning of each part of a definition.

But I’m still not sure what’s going on. The definition says that the L_op is defined as the min M such that the norm of L(x) on R for all x is less or equal than this M times the p-norm on R^n. So the length of L(x) (in R) is less than, eh, the lengh of x in R^n times M? And M is just a scalar, right? if I would like to see it in a graph, for example, how could I represent it?

Induced by p?

naaa00 said:
Thanks. I’ll try to be more aware with the meaning of each part of a definition.

Yeah. You really got to pay attention to the definitions. And recognize that they're "just" definitions; it is what it is for no other reason than because we say so.

Of course most definitions in mathematics have a purpose. So there really is a reason beyond "because we say so". It's usually more along the lines of "because that's what works".

naaa00 said:
But I’m still not sure what’s going on. The definition says that the L_op is defined as the min M such that the norm of L(x) on R for all x is less or equal than this M times the p-norm on R^n. So the length of L(x) (in R) is less than, eh, the lengh of x in R^n times M? And M is just a scalar, right?

Yes. And again, this is just the definition of the operator norm. There are other norms that we could choose to measure the "size" of functions from one space to another. This one just happens to be one that works for us in some cases.

naaa00 said:
if I would like to see it in a graph, for example, how could I represent it?

Yeah ... no ... unless you can visualize the Cartesian product ##\mathcal{L}\times\mathbf{R}^+## of the space ##\mathcal{L}## of linear operators ##L:\mathbf{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbf{R}## with the non-negative reals. In which case you should maybe consider a second career in art.

It's OK to try to visualize some mathematics. But in almost all but the most basic cases, it's not really possible. This is one of those cases where you just got to say to yourself, "Hey, I know intuitively what 'size' is supposed to mean. This norm is just one way of measuring the 'size' of some object that I can't see."

naaa00 said:
Induced by p?

Maybe not the best choice of words on my part. I just meant that it's the operator norm on bounded linear functions ##L:\mathbf{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbf{R}## where the norm on ##\mathbf{R}^n## is the ##p##-norm. Operator norms are dependent on the norms chosen for the two vector spaces which are the domain and range of the operators.

Related to Estimation of the Operator norm

1. What is the operator norm?

The operator norm is a mathematical concept used in functional analysis to measure the size or magnitude of a linear operator between two normed vector spaces. It is also known as the operator norm, operator norm, or operator norm.

2. How is the operator norm calculated?

The operator norm can be calculated by taking the supremum (i.e. the least upper bound) of the norm of the operator applied to all possible vectors in the domain space. In other words, it is the maximum value of the operator applied to a unit vector in the domain space.

3. What is the significance of the operator norm?

The operator norm provides a way to measure the size or magnitude of a linear operator, which is useful in many areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, differential equations, and optimization. It also allows for the comparison of different operators and the identification of important properties, such as continuity and boundedness.

4. How is the operator norm used in practical applications?

The operator norm has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to study the behavior of linear systems, such as electric circuits or mechanical systems, and to analyze the convergence of numerical methods for solving differential equations.

5. Can the operator norm be extended to infinite-dimensional spaces?

Yes, the operator norm can be extended to infinite-dimensional spaces, such as function spaces. In these cases, the supremum is taken over an infinite set of vectors. This extension is important in many areas of mathematics, including partial differential equations and quantum mechanics.