Estimation of central temperature of a star

In summary, the temperature at the center of a low mass star can be estimated by using the relation R∝M^1/2 and the equation Tc=(2/3R) Pc(R^3/M). By plugging in the mass-radius relation, the radius can be eliminated and the temperature can be expressed as approximately 24x10^6(M/Msolar)^1/2 Kelvin. The first step is to find the central pressure and then solve for the temperature.
Darkkk
Problem:

Relatively low mass stars can be shown to have their radii dependent on their mass as;

R[itex]\propto[/itex]M1/2

From this, show that the temperature in kelvin at the centre of such a star can be estimated to be

[itex]\approx[/itex]24[itex]\times[/itex]106(M/Msolar)1/2

Relevant Equations:

Tc=(2/3ℝ)[itex]\times[/itex]Pc[itex]\times[/itex](R3/M)

Attempt at a Solution:

I tried to sub in the relation between R and M of the star, but to be quite honest I didn't see myself getting very far...Any pointers at all would be much appreciated! Not too sure on this one.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What did you get when you plugged in?
Do you know [itex]P_c[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex]

I do know R=8.314 joules per Kelvin but Pc is unknown, I am assuming the proportion relation will be used at the end of the problem to get the temperature in terms of the solar mass. I am just not quite sure what the first step is. Perhaps I ought to sub the Tc given in the question into the central pressure equation Pc. What do you think? sounds like circular logic to me...

The first step is to plug in the mass-radius relation. That way you eliminate the radius from the equation. You know R, so all you need to find is the central pressure to solve for the temperature.

Ah yes I see! I have it now. Thank you for the advice :)

Related to Estimation of central temperature of a star

1. How is the central temperature of a star estimated?

The central temperature of a star is estimated by using mathematical models and observational data. Scientists use equations such as the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the perfect gas law to calculate the temperature based on the star's luminosity, mass, and radius. They also analyze the star's spectrum to determine its chemical composition, which can affect its central temperature.

2. Why is it important to estimate the central temperature of a star?

The central temperature of a star is a crucial factor in understanding its internal processes and evolution. It can give insight into the star's energy production, nuclear reactions, and lifespan. It also helps in classifying stars into different types and understanding their place in the universe.

3. How accurate are current methods of estimating central temperature?

The accuracy of estimating the central temperature of a star depends on the quality and quantity of observational data available. With advanced technology and telescopes, scientists can now estimate temperatures with high precision. However, there may still be some uncertainties and variations due to factors such as stellar activity and atmospheric conditions.

4. Can the central temperature of a star change over time?

Yes, the central temperature of a star can change over time. As a star goes through different stages of its life cycle, its central temperature can increase or decrease. For example, as a star consumes its hydrogen fuel and begins fusing heavier elements, its central temperature will increase. But as it nears the end of its life and runs out of fuel, the central temperature will decrease.

5. How does the central temperature of a star affect its habitability?

The central temperature of a star is one of the key factors in determining the habitability of any planets orbiting it. If the star's temperature is too high, it can cause the planet's surface to be too hot for life to exist. On the other hand, if the temperature is too low, the planet may be too cold. Therefore, estimating the central temperature of a star is essential in identifying potentially habitable exoplanets.