Estimating Jet Speed Using Sound and Light

In summary, to estimate the speed of a jet flying at a high altitude, one can use the speed of light, speed of sound, and a stop watch. This can be demonstrated with the example of lightning and thunder, where the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. However, more data is needed to accurately estimate the speed of the jet.
DANIELLYMA

Homework Statement

When a jet plane flies overhead at a high altitude, the sound from the engines can be heard, but the sound seems to come from well behind the aircraft. If you knew the altitude of the jet to be 10,000m, how could you estimate the speed of it? Show this using an example.

Homework Equations

c = 3.00*10^8m/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my teacher this question, but he told me to think about it. He hinted at using the speed of light, speed of sound, and a stop watch. I tried drawing a diagram showing how the person would see the plane first before hearing the engine. I know sound travels slower than light, but I don't know what to do next.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The aircraft is traveling faster than the speed of the sound. Another good example of this is lightning and thunder. You see the lightning first because the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound (the thunder). In my class of physics 11 we finished that module last week.

Johnny Blade said:
The aircraft is traveling faster than the speed of the sound. Another good example of this is lightning and thunder. You see the lightning first because the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound (the thunder). In my class of physics 11 we finished that module last week.

Thanks for the answer, but is there a way to estimate the speed of the jet?

Not if there's no more data. The speed is 1 mach or higher.

I think it can be figured out because as I previously posted, my teacher hinted at using the speed of sound, speed of light, and a stop watch.

Does anyone have a solution?

Related to Estimating Jet Speed Using Sound and Light

1. What is the equation for wave speed in Physics 11?

The equation for wave speed is v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the wave speed by the wavelength, or by using the equation f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of the wave.

3. Can you explain the concept of wave interference?

Wave interference is when two waves meet and overlap, resulting in a new wave. Constructive interference occurs when the waves are in phase and their amplitudes add together, creating a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

4. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are waves in which the particles of the medium vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. Longitudinal waves are waves in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation.

5. How do you determine the direction of wave propagation?

The direction of wave propagation is determined by the direction in which the wave travels. For example, if a wave is moving from left to right, the direction of propagation is from left to right. This can also be determined by looking at the direction in which the particles of the medium are vibrating.