Estimating Ground State Energy Correction of Hydrogenic Atom

In summary, the conversation discusses using first-order perturbation theory to estimate the correction to the ground state energy of a hydrogenic atom caused by the finite size of the spherical nucleus. The electrostatic potential, represented by fi, is given by two equations depending on the distance from the nucleus, and the attempt at a solution involves treating fi as V and using the radial equation. The question asks for clarification on how to apply perturbation theory and what the expression for the ground state energy would be.
eman2009

Homework Statement

using first-order perturbation theory ,estimate the correction to the ground state energy of a hydrogenic atom due to the finite size of the nucleus, assume it's spherical nucleus.

Homework Equations

you can employ the fact that the electrostatic potential fi
fi=Ze/R(3/2-r^/2R^ ,if r<R

=Ze/r ,if r>R

fi is elctrostatic potential

R is radius, chargeZe

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
think Bohr radius [tex] A_o = [/tex] Bohr radius

can you please write down the potential "fi" more clear?

is it

[tex]\phi = \frac{Ze(3/2 -r^2/(2R^2))}{R}[/tex] ?? or

[tex]\phi = \frac{Ze}{R(3/2 -r^2/(2R^2)}[/tex]

Also show attempt to solution, you have to show some effort in order to get help. Read the rules of this forum.

sorry
the second one is
fi=Ze/r only
and the first one is correct
there is two equation for fi ...

i tryed to treat (fi) as (V) ,my question is how i can applay the perturbation theory in the same time using radial equation ? if i use perturbation theory what is (ebsay)
is it
1/(squarbi a^3).e^-r/a
for ground state
thanks

Last edited:
please answer me ...

i don't know what happen ... some thing wrong ):

Related to Estimating Ground State Energy Correction of Hydrogenic Atom

1. How is the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom estimated?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom can be estimated using the Rydberg formula: E = -13.6/n^2, where E is the energy in electron volts and n is the principal quantum number.

2. What is the significance of estimating the ground state energy correction of a hydrogenic atom?

The ground state energy correction of a hydrogenic atom is important in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, as well as in predicting and explaining experimental results. It also serves as a basis for more complex calculations in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the ground state energy correction calculated for a hydrogenic atom?

The ground state energy correction is calculated by subtracting the energy of the hydrogen atom from the energy of the hydrogenic atom, which includes the effects of the nucleus and other electrons. This correction can be calculated using various methods, such as perturbation theory or variational methods.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of estimating the ground state energy correction?

The accuracy of estimating the ground state energy correction can be affected by factors such as the choice of method, the number of terms included in the calculation, and the precision of the input data. Other factors, such as the inclusion of relativistic effects, can also impact the accuracy of the calculation.

5. How does the ground state energy correction of a hydrogenic atom compare to that of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state energy correction of a hydrogenic atom is typically larger than that of a hydrogen atom, as it takes into account the additional influences of the nucleus and other electrons. However, as the number of electrons in the atom increases, the ground state energy correction becomes closer to that of a hydrogen atom due to the screening effect of the additional electrons.