Estimating f(x) & Computing dy/dx: Answers vs. Solutions

• Thread starter buffgilville
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the purpose of estimating f(x) and computing dy/dx is to gain insight into the behavior and relationships of functions. Estimating f(x) involves approximating the value of a function at a specific point, while computing dy/dx involves finding the slope of the tangent line at that point. Answers refer to numerical values, while solutions refer to the steps and processes used to obtain those values. The accuracy of estimation and calculation can be checked by comparing to actual values or using mathematical techniques. Estimation and calculation techniques can be applied to any type of function, but the methods may vary depending on the complexity of the function.
buffgilville
1) Use differentials to estimate f(8.05) given that f(8)=71 and
(d/dx)f(x)=sqrt of (x+56)

i used f(c+h) = f(c) + fprime(c) * h
i got 8.125, but the answer is 71.40

2) Compute dy/dx at the given values xy - 6y^2 - 2x = -24 , x=1, y=2

I keep getting 4/25
but the answer is 0

3) Give a value c that satisfies the conclusion of the mean value theorem on the interval 2 < x < 5 for the function f(x) = 6x^2 + 8x + 13 (note: all < means greater than or equal to )

I took the prime of f(x), and f '(c) = 12x + 8
12x + 8 = 5
and I got c= (-1/4)
but the answer is c = (7/4)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The formula is correct, and when I'm using it, I get 71.4.
2. The question doesn't make sense.
3. f'(c) is 50, not 5.

Last edited:
I think 2) should read:

For the following expression: xy - 6y^2 - 2x = -24

Compute dy/dx for the following values: x = 1, y = 2

Differentiate implicitly wrt x:

[tex] xy - 6y^2 - 2x = -24 [/tex]

[tex] [x\frac{dy}{dx} + y] - 12y\frac{dy}{dx} - 2 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}(x - 12y) = 2 - y [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2 - y}{x - 12y} = \frac{2 - 2}{1 - 24} =0 [/tex]

OK, that makes sense. I messed up and thought that (1,2) isn't even on that curve, but I guess 2-24-2 really is -24. :smile:

buffgilville said:
1) Use differentials to estimate f(8.05) given that f(8)=71 and
(d/dx)f(x)=sqrt of (x+56)

i used f(c+h) = f(c) + fprime(c) * h
i got 8.125, but the answer is 71.40

I wish you had shown your work. You seem to be making some serious mistakes. In this case, you are told that f(c)= f(8)= 71 so I don't see how you could haved gotten 71+ something equal to "8.125".
Yes, f(c+ h)= f(c)+ f'(c)*h (approximately)
so f(8+ .05)= f(8)+ f'(8)*(0.05)
= 71+ sqrt(8+56)*(0.05)
= 71+ sqrt(64)*(0.05)
= 71+ 8*(0.05)= 71+ 0.4= 71.4
2) Compute dy/dx at the given values xy - 6y^2 - 2x = -24 , x=1, y=2

I keep getting 4/25
but the answer is 0

HOW do you get "4/25"? Using "implicit differentiation",
y+ xy'- 12yy'- 2= 0. Setting x= 1, y= 2, this is
2+y'- 24y'- 2 or -23y'= 0. I wonder if you weren't getting the signs mixed up?

3) Give a value c that satisfies the conclusion of the mean value theorem on the interval 2 < x < 5 for the function f(x) = 6x^2 + 8x + 13 (note: all < means greater than or equal to )

I took the prime of f(x), and f '(c) = 12x + 8
12x + 8 = 5
and I got c= (-1/4)
but the answer is c = (7/4)

You took the derivative of f(x)! Don't use "slang"!

The mean value theorem says [itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b- a}= f '(x)[/itex] for some x between a and b. In this case, a= 2, b= 5 so f(b)= 6(25)+ 8(5)+ 13= 150+ 40+ 13= 203 and f(a)= 6(4)+ 8(2)+ 13= 24+16+ 13= 53. We are looking for c so that [itex]f '(c)= 12c+ 8 = \frac{203-53}{5-2}=\frac{150}{3}= 50. 12c+ 8= 50 so 12c= 42. c= 42/12= 7/2 (?Not 7/4).
I have no idea where you got "5". If 12c+ 8= 41, then 12c= 33

Thanks for everyone's help! :smile:

Related to Estimating f(x) & Computing dy/dx: Answers vs. Solutions

1. What is the purpose of estimating f(x) and computing dy/dx?

The purpose of estimating f(x) and computing dy/dx is to better understand the behavior and relationships of functions. By approximating the value of f(x) at a given point and calculating the instantaneous rate of change, we can gain insight into the behavior of the function and make predictions about its behavior in the future.

2. How is estimating f(x) different from computing dy/dx?

Estimating f(x) involves approximating the value of a function at a specific point, while computing dy/dx involves finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at a given point. Estimating f(x) deals with the actual value of the function, while computing dy/dx deals with its rate of change.

3. What is the difference between answers and solutions in the context of estimating f(x) and computing dy/dx?

Answers refer to the numerical values obtained through estimation or calculation, while solutions refer to the steps and processes used to arrive at those values. In other words, answers are the final result, while solutions are the means to that result.

4. How do I know if my estimation or calculation of f(x) or dy/dx is accurate?

The accuracy of your estimation or calculation can be determined by comparing it to the actual value of the function or slope, if known. Additionally, you can use mathematical techniques such as taking derivatives or using calculus concepts to check the accuracy of your results.

5. Can I use estimation and calculation techniques for any type of function?

Yes, estimation and calculation techniques can be applied to any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. However, the level of complexity and the methods used may vary depending on the type of function.