Estimate the overall change of entropy for this system.

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, the thermally isolated system reaches a final temperature of 76°C, and the overall change of entropy is .158 cal/g K.
mlostrac

Homework Statement

A piece of metal at 80°C is placed into 1.2 litres of water at 72°C. This thermally
isolated system reaches a final temperature of 76°C. Estimate the overall change
of entropy for this system.

Homework Equations

(delta)S = Q/T

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Found Q of water (**C = degrees celsius):

Q = mc(delta)T = 1.2kg (1.00 kcal/kg-C) (4C) = 4.8 kcal

2) Found the Average temp of the water:

T = (76 + 72)/2 = 74C = 347 K

3) Change in Entropy, (delta)S = Q/T = 4.8kcal/347K = .0138 kcal/K

Question: Is the Q (heat) of the metal just -4.8kcal?

I assumed so, and found the change in entropy for the metal to be .0136 kcal/K

Therefore giving me an overall entropy for the entire system of:
(delta)S = .0138 - .0136 = .0002 kcal/K or 0.2 cal/K

This number looks to small to me though. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I always have to think three times when working with entropy, but I'm almost sure this is the wrong method. (Others, please correct me if I am wrong).

The formula [itex]\Delta S = \Delta Q / T[/itex] is only valid for isothermal processes (constant temperature).

So what you need to do is imagine another thermodynamic process with the same initial and final states, but that uses an isothermal process for the heat flow.

Since entropy is a state variable, its change only depends on the initial and final states regardless of the "path" used to get between them. So the entropy change in the new imaginary process is the same as the real irreversible one.

dulrich said:
I always have to think three times when working with entropy, but I'm almost sure this is the wrong method. (Others, please correct me if I am wrong).

The formula [itex]\Delta S = \Delta Q / T[/itex] is only valid for isothermal processes (constant temperature).

So what you need to do is imagine another thermodynamic process with the same initial and final states, but that uses an isothermal process for the heat flow.

Since entropy is a state variable, its change only depends on the initial and final states regardless of the "path" used to get between them. So the entropy change in the new imaginary process is the same as the real irreversible one.

Yes, this method is wrong. But it can be approximately true (Oh, how illogical!) in this problem particularly. The initial and final temperatures are so close to each other, so doing as mlostrac did is a good estimation. Estimation can never be completely precise, right?

Just my personal opinions: Though there may be some other method that can precisely solve the problem, I think I like this estimation more. It's simply more simple and more "physics". Scientists always simplify the complex (and complicate the simple at the same time :D).

Agreed, as long as one is aware of the assumptions made. You are right in emphasizing the small temperature differential in the problem. Thanks!

The accurate calculation requires calculus.

For the water, [itex]dQ = c_wm_wdT[/itex]. For the metal, [itex]dQ = c_mm_mdT[/itex]

One can see from the fact that the heat gained by the water is equal to the heat lost by the metal and that the temperature changes are equal and opposite, so that [itex]c_mm_m = c_wm_w[/itex]

So the change in entropy is:

[tex]\Delta S_{total} = \Delta S_w + \Delta S_m = \int_{T_{iw}}^{T_f} dQ/T + \int_{T_{im}}^{T_f} dQ/T= c_wm_w \int_{349}^{345} dT/T + c_wm_w \int_{349}^{353} dT/T[/tex]

[tex]\Delta S_{total} = c_wm_w (\ln\left(\frac{349}{345}\right) + \ln\left(\frac{349}{353}\right))[/tex]

[tex]\Delta S_{total} = 1 \times 1200 \times (.01153 - .01140) =.158 Cal/g K[/tex]

AM

Related to Estimate the overall change of entropy for this system.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system. It is often described as the amount of energy that is not available for work in a system.

2. How is entropy calculated?

Entropy can be calculated using the formula S = k ln W, where S is entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates or possible arrangements of a system in a given state.

3. What are the units of entropy?

The SI unit for entropy is joules per kelvin (J/K), but it can also be measured in other units such as calories per kelvin (cal/K) or bits per kelvin (bit/K).

4. How does the overall change in entropy affect a system?

The overall change in entropy can indicate whether a system is becoming more ordered (decrease in entropy) or more disordered (increase in entropy). This can have implications for the system's stability and potential for work or energy exchange with its surroundings.

5. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase or remain constant over time. While it is possible to decrease entropy in a local or temporary sense, the overall trend will always be towards an increase in entropy.