Estimate the mass of a spinning ice skater

In summary, the conversation discusses using data on the time of rotation and length of arms to estimate the mass of a skater. The equations I1ω1=I2ω2 and ω = 2π/T are mentioned as useful in this process. The conversation then suggests creating a model of the skater using simple geometric shapes and estimating reasonable values for their dimensions. The unknowns in this model would be the mass of the torso cylinder and the mass of an arm. The conversation ends with discussing ways to use these expressions to solve for the mass of the torso and arms together.
spiruel

Homework Statement

If you have data such as time of rotation when arms are extended and the lengths of their folded and extended arms measured from the centre of the skater.

I know I1ω1=I2ω2 and can work out ω from the radius and time of rotation. Where can I go from here to estimate the mass?

Thanks

Homework Equations

[itex]I_1\omega_1=I_2\omega_2[/itex]
[itex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Create a crude model of the skater using simple geometric shapes for which you know (or can look up) the mass moment of inertia about various axes. For example, make the torso a cylinder of uniform density, the arms two more cylinders when outstretched. Estimate what you think might be reasonable geometry for them (length, diameter). When the arms are folded in, the arm cylinders just add their mass to the torso cylinder and otherwise disappear. You may need to use the parallel axis theorem to get the right center of rotation for your "arms".

The unknowns will be the mass of the torso cyclinder and the mass of an arm.

gneill said:
Create a crude model of the skater using simple geometric shapes for which you know (or can look up) the mass moment of inertia about various axes. For example, make the torso a cylinder of uniform density, the arms two more cylinders when outstretched. Estimate what you think might be reasonable geometry for them (length, diameter). When the arms are folded in, the arm cylinders just add their mass to the torso cylinder and otherwise disappear. You may need to use the parallel axis theorem to get the right center of rotation for your "arms".

The unknowns will be the mass of the torso cyclinder and the mass of an arm.
Thank you for the reply.

Would the expressions below be along the right lines?
[itex]I_{in} = \frac{1}{2}*M_{torso}*r_{torso}^2 + m_{arms}*(r_{torso}+r_{folded arms})^2[/itex]
[itex]I_{out} = \frac{1}{2}*M_{torso}*r_{torso}^2 + m_{arms}*(r_{torso}+r_{outstretched arms})^2[/itex]

Last edited:
That's the idea. You'll want to show in detail how you arrived at the expressions for the arms, the outstretched arms in particular. Check the mass moment of inertia for a cylinder rotating about an axis that is not parallel to its central axis (for example, suppose it were rotating about one end).

gneill said:
That's the idea. You'll want to show in detail how you arrived at the expressions for the arms, the outstretched arms in particular. Check the mass moment of inertia for a cylinder rotating about an axis that is not parallel to its central axis (for example, suppose it were rotating about one end).

Thank you for the help so far.

How would I go about using the above expressions to obtain a result for the torso mass and arm masses together?

Presumably you'll apply your data and conservation of angular momentum to arrive at an equation for which you can solve for the mass. Another hint: It might be worthwhile assuming that the mass of the arms is some fraction of the mass of the torso, so you'll have only one mass variable to deal with.

Related to Estimate the mass of a spinning ice skater

1. How does the mass of the ice skater affect their spin?

The mass of the ice skater affects their spin in two ways. First, the greater the mass, the more inertia the skater has, making it more difficult to change their rotational velocity. Second, a larger mass means there is more surface area to interact with the ice, providing more friction and slowing down the spin.

2. Can the mass of the ice skater be estimated based on their spin?

Yes, the mass of the ice skater can be estimated based on their spin. The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. By measuring the skater's spin rate and the distance from their center of mass to their axis of rotation, their mass can be estimated.

3. How does the distribution of mass affect the spin of the ice skater?

The distribution of mass affects the spin of the ice skater by changing the rotational inertia. A skater with more mass concentrated towards the center will have a lower rotational inertia and be able to spin faster, while a skater with more mass distributed towards the edges will have a higher rotational inertia and spin slower.

4. How does the ice skater's position affect their spin?

The ice skater's position affects their spin in two ways. First, the closer they are to their center of mass, the lower their rotational inertia and the faster they can spin. Second, the position of their limbs can also affect their spin by changing their distribution of mass and their moment of inertia.

5. What factors besides mass can affect the spin of an ice skater?

Besides mass, the spin of an ice skater can also be affected by their distribution of mass, their position, and the friction between their skates and the ice. Other external factors such as air resistance and the force of gravity may also play a role in the skater's spin.