Essential Books for Algebra, Pre-Calc & Trigonometry Learning for Kids

• Thread starter Viktoriooo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, there are a few good options for books to help you better understand algebra, pre-calculus, and trigonometry. Some recommended titles include "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus Thompson, and "Princeton Companion to Mathematics." It is important to find a book that is suitable for your level and learning style, so don't be afraid to try out different options until you find the right fit.
Viktoriooo
Hi, I am new to this forum and i was wondering which books is good to Get a better understanding/learning Algebra, pre-calc and trigonometry for a kid who knows some algebra geometry and functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't any books for geometry or trignometry, but for calculus you can try Thomas calculus. It is a really heavy, but good book for beginners in calculus, real analysis and functions.
For algebra my lecturer suggested me Topics in algebra by I. N. Herstein. You might give it a try.

Abhilash H N said:
For algebra my lecturer suggested me Topics in algebra by I. N. Herstein. You might give it a try.

Really?? You're suggesting an abstract algebra book to a kid who is asking for books in algebra and precalculus? Sigh.

Please don't listen to the above advice. A good book that I recommend is "basic mathematics" by Lang. Other good books are written by Gelfand. For example, you have "Algebra" and "Trigonometry" by Gelfand. (Do be careful, Gelfand has written very advanced texts too, so be careful what you use).

To get a general understanding of these subjects, I would suggest that you start with the Barron's books Algebra the Easy Way, Trigonometry the Easy Way, and Calculus the Easy Way, all by Douglas Downing (I think they may have been renamed as E-Z Algebra, E-Z trig, etc.). They present these topics in the form of a story.

Then, once you've gotten the flavor of these subjects, you can dive into proper textbooks, like the ones micromass suggested.

Books you can consult

What is Mathematics.

Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang.

Calculus Made Easy by Tompson.

Princeton Companion to Mathematics.

and If you are Planning to write AP then Thomas / James Stewart Calculus.

I second the recommendation for Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson. It introduces you to calculus in a really intuitive way.

Related to Essential Books for Algebra, Pre-Calc & Trigonometry Learning for Kids

1. What are the essential books for learning algebra, pre-calc, and trigonometry for kids?

The essential books for learning algebra, pre-calc, and trigonometry for kids may vary depending on the individual's learning style and needs. Some popular options include "Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen, "Pre-Calculus Essentials for Dummies" by Yang Kuang and Michelle Rose Gilman, and "Trigonometry for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling.

2. How can these books help kids learn algebra, pre-calc, and trigonometry?

These books provide a comprehensive and structured approach to learning algebra, pre-calc, and trigonometry. They cover important concepts, provide practice problems, and offer step-by-step explanations to help kids understand and apply the material.

3. Are these books suitable for all age groups?

While the recommended age range for these books may vary, they are generally suitable for kids in middle school and above. Younger children may also benefit from these books with the guidance of a parent or teacher.

4. Can these books be used as a supplement to classroom learning?

Yes, these books can be used as a supplement to classroom learning. They can provide additional practice and reinforcement of concepts taught in the classroom. However, they should not be used as a replacement for classroom instruction.

5. What other resources can be used in conjunction with these books for a well-rounded learning experience?

In addition to these books, kids can benefit from online resources such as educational websites, videos, and interactive games. They can also work with a tutor or study group to further enhance their understanding of algebra, pre-calc, and trigonometry.