Escape velocity of solar system

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula v = sqrt(2GM/r) for calculating orbital speed, with a question about what values to use for mass and radius. The suggestion is made to look up the percentage of the solar system's mass in the Sun and consider if including planetary masses will significantly affect the result. The final calculation is determined to be 13.72 km/s using Saturn's orbital speed of 9.7 km/s.
oldspice1212
Hey guys so this question I'm kind of stuck on,

Our solar system, starting from Saturn's orbit.

So I know the formula is v = sqrt(2GM/r)

But not sure what to put for the mass and radius, am i including saturn and planets like uranus and neptune only or all the satellites and stuff to like moons, asteroids, etc. Or am I simply over thinking this lol?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the percentage of the solar system's mass that is contained in the Sun. Will including planetary masses affect your result significantly?

Ok so I calculated it to be 13.72 km/s since saturns orbital speed is 9.7 km/s.

Last edited:
That'll do.

Related to Escape velocity of solar system

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to overcome the gravitational pull of a celestial body, such as a planet or star, and escape into space.

What is the escape velocity of the solar system?

The escape velocity of the solar system varies depending on the object and its distance from the center of the system. For Earth, the escape velocity is about 11.2 km/s, while for the entire solar system, it is about 42.1 km/s.

How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the distance from the center of the body.

What determines the escape velocity of a celestial body?

The escape velocity of a celestial body depends on its mass and the distance from its center. The larger the mass and the closer the object is to the center, the higher the escape velocity will be.

Why is escape velocity important?

Escape velocity is important for space travel and exploration. It allows objects to break free from the gravitational pull of a celestial body and travel through space. It is also important for understanding the stability and dynamics of the solar system.