Error propagation of q=mcdeltat

In summary, error propagation can be done using the partial derivative method, which involves finding the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, and then using them to calculate the uncertainty in the result. This method is especially useful for non-trivial functions of multiple variables, and can be applied to functions containing other functions.
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

I want to know how to do error propagation on this

cNi= [-(mcΔt)Al-(mcΔt)H2O]/(mΔt)Ni

m is mass and Δt is change in temperature

Homework Equations

δc/c=√(δm/m)2+(δ(Δt)/Δt)2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the above error prop eq. above applies to c=Q/mΔt
or I think it does.

But I just can't figure it out. The uncertainty for both is about 0.1. I have about 3 different values mass and 2 different values for temperature. What values do I substitute into the error prop equation. Any help would be great. Doing it last minute and its becoming a nightmare.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you're looking to propagate the errors when the solution is a non-trivial function of several variables, I'd suggest using the partial derivative method. This avoids breaking the function down into elementary additions, multiplications, powers, etc., and slogging through the error math for each one of them.

If you have a function of, say, three variables f(x,y,z), and associated uncertainties Δx, Δy, Δz, for the variables, then the uncertainty in the result of a calculation of f(x,y,z) is given by:

$$Δf = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)^2 Δx^2 + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)^2 Δy^2 + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\right)^2 Δz^2} $$

This is easy to remember, applies to function of any number of variables, and best of all it always works, even if the function f contains other functions like sin(x) or ln(x) or,...

Related to Error propagation of q=mcdeltat

1. What is error propagation and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Error propagation is the process of estimating the uncertainty or error in a calculated result based on the uncertainties in the measured quantities used to make that calculation. It is important because all measurements have some degree of uncertainty, and understanding and accounting for this uncertainty is crucial for accurate and reliable scientific results.

2. How is error propagation calculated for the equation q=mcdeltat?

For the equation q=mcdeltat, error propagation can be calculated using the following formula: Δq = Δm * c * Δt, where Δq is the propagated error in q, Δm is the error in the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and Δt is the error in the temperature change. This formula takes into account the uncertainties in all the measured quantities used in the calculation.

3. Can error propagation be minimized or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate errors in scientific calculations, error propagation can be minimized by using precise and accurate measuring instruments, performing multiple trials and averaging the results, and using appropriate statistical analysis techniques.

4. How does error propagation affect the reliability of scientific data?

Error propagation is important in ensuring the reliability of scientific data. By accounting for the uncertainties in measurements, error propagation helps to produce more accurate and precise results. It also allows for the evaluation of the confidence level in the data, which is important when drawing conclusions and making decisions based on experimental results.

5. Are there any limitations to error propagation?

While error propagation is a useful tool in estimating uncertainties in scientific calculations, it does have limitations. It assumes that the errors in the measured quantities are independent of each other and that they follow a normal distribution. These assumptions may not always hold true in real-world situations, so it is important to carefully consider the limitations when using error propagation techniques.