Error of Product: Calculating Speed of Sound Formula

In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab for non-science majors where the students are using an oscilloscope to measure the wavelength of sound and determine the speed of sound. The lab manual asks them to find the error in their calculation using a formula that is confusing to the person speaking. They share their own formula and ask if anyone has seen the first formula before. Another person clarifies that the first formula is for random errors while the second is for systematic errors. They also provide a recommendation for using the second formula as a conservative approach.
Opus_723
I'm teaching one of the physics labs for non-science majors at my school this year, and I ran across a formula in the first lab that's confusing me.

They are using an oscilloscope to measure the wavelength of sound at a given frequency in order to determine the speed of sound. The lab manual then asks them to find the error in their calculation, using the mean of several measurements as the true [itex]\lambda[/itex], and this formula:

[itex]\Delta[/itex]v = v[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{\Delta\lambda}{\lambda})^{2}+(\frac{Δf}{f})^{2}}[/itex]

I'm not sure where this formula comes from, but I get a very different formula for the error in a product when I multiply out ([itex]\lambda[/itex]+Δ[itex]\lambda[/itex])(f+Δf) and divide by [itex]\lambda[/itex]f to get the relative error (dropping high-order terms, of course):

[itex]\Delta[/itex]v = v([itex]\frac{Δ\lambda}{\lambda}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{Δf}{f}[/itex])

And trying a few examples on my calculator, this latter formula seems to give better results. Has anyone seen that first formula above? I'm trying to figure out if I'm just being dense and it should give me better results, or if someone made a mistake printing this lab. The only thing I can think of is that someone squared both sides of the equation I got and then dropped the middle term for some reason, even though it's the same order as the others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your own formula would make sense if you wanted to interpret Δλ, Δf and Δv as maximum possible errors. But a more useful interpretation would be to think of them as most likely (or average) errors, or as, say, 90% confidence intervals for errors. It's quite unlikely both errors will be simultaneously large (assuming they're statistically independent), but more likely one will be larger and the other smaller.

See the Wikipedia article Propagation of uncertainty for the maths.

The first formula is for random errors, the other for systematical ones.

Thank you. That makes sense. I haven't studied any statistics yet, so I just tried the simplest thing I could think of.

szynkasz said:
The first formula is for random errors, the other for systematical ones.
Systematic uncertainties can be uncorrelated, too. And statistic errors can be correlated (not very likely in this example, however).

The first formula is for uncorrelated errors. The second assumes maximal correlation - you can use it as conservative approach if you are unsure about the correlation, but you will usually overestimate the uncertainty with it.

Related to Error of Product: Calculating Speed of Sound Formula

What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound is v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic index, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature of the medium.

How do I know which value to use for the adiabatic index?

The adiabatic index, also known as the heat capacity ratio, varies depending on the type of gas and its properties. Common values for air and other gases can be found in reference tables. It is important to use the correct value to ensure accurate results.

Can I use this formula to calculate the speed of sound in any medium?

This formula is specifically designed to calculate the speed of sound in ideal gases. It may not accurately calculate the speed of sound in other mediums, such as liquids or solids, which have different properties and behaviors.

What units should I use for the variables in the formula?

The speed of sound is typically measured in meters per second (m/s). The adiabatic index does not have units as it is a ratio, but the gas constant is often measured in joules per kilogram-kelvin (J/kg-K) and temperature in Kelvin (K). It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

Is this formula always accurate?

This formula is based on ideal gas laws and assumes certain conditions, such as constant temperature and pressure. In real-world scenarios, other factors may affect the speed of sound and lead to discrepancies in the calculated value. It is important to consider all variables and limitations when using this formula.