Error Calculation Homework: Can I Kill 1 Bird with 2 Shots?

In summary, the question is asking how many shots are needed to kill one bird when shooting 100 shots with a margin of error of +/-5 to kill 50. The mathematical solution is an infinite number of shots, but if we want to be 95% certain the bird is dead, it would require more shots. Additionally, the estimated standard deviation for a sample size of 2 cannot be calculated by dividing by 50.
pangru

Homework Statement

I have to shot 100(±5) to kill 50.
how many shots I need to kill 1 bird?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

100±5/50 = 2±0.1

this solution is so simple, I think it is not right - is it? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically speaking, the question "how many shots do I need to kill 1 bird" can be interpreted as : "after how many shots is the probability that one single bird that I am shooting at is dead" ? And that can be answered with: an infinite number of shots. Because there is a non-zero probability that you miss N shots, however big you choose N.

After which the bird will fly away. :smile:

However, things change when you ask (for example) : after how many shots can I be 95% certain the bugger is dead.

PS in your answer, if you want to be on the safe side: how does one fire 2.1 shots ? :rolleyes:

Likes pangru
Hi pangru:

The "+/- 5" represents some form of "standard error" which is some multiple of the standard deviation of a distribution. From
"the population standard deviation is equal to the square root of the variance".
The variance is proportional to the sample size. In the problem example, the sample size of 100 produced the standard deviation of 5. From that you are to estimate the standard deviation for a sample size of 2. The answer you got of 0.1 by dividing by 50 is wrong.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Likes pangru

Related to Error Calculation Homework: Can I Kill 1 Bird with 2 Shots?

1. Can I really kill 1 bird with 2 shots?

It is not possible to accurately predict the outcome of a single event, such as killing a bird with 2 shots. The probability of success depends on various factors such as the accuracy of the shots, the type of gun and ammunition used, and the distance from the target. It is important to note that intentionally harming animals is unethical and illegal in many places.

2. How do you calculate the error in this situation?

The error in this situation would depend on the accuracy of the shots and the distance from the target. If the shots are not perfectly accurate, there will be a slight deviation from the intended target, resulting in an error. To calculate the error, you would need to measure the distance between the actual impact point and the intended target point.

3. Is there a way to increase the chances of success in this scenario?

There is no guaranteed way to increase the chances of success in this scenario. However, practicing shooting and improving accuracy can increase the chances of hitting the target with both shots. Additionally, using appropriate equipment and being aware of the surroundings can also help in achieving a successful outcome.

4. How does error calculation apply to this situation?

Error calculation is used to determine the margin of error or deviation from the intended target. In this scenario, the error calculation would help in understanding the accuracy of the shots and how they affect the outcome of hitting the target with two shots.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this situation?

Some potential sources of error in this situation could include human error in aiming and shooting, equipment malfunctions, weather conditions, and the movement of the target. Additionally, the distance between the shooter and the target can also affect the accuracy of the shots and lead to potential errors.