Erasing Permanent Markers from Plastic Name Plaques

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of students accidentally using permanent markers instead of dry erase markers on plastic name plaques. One person shares a solution of using a dry erase marker to trace over the permanent marker and easily erase it. However, another problem arises when a student uses a dry erase marker on the name plaque, and there is no way to erase it. The conversation also veers off into discussing the confusing wording of British Civil Service regulations and the use of rubbing alcohol to clean dry erase markers. One person even suggests writing names on foreheads with Sharpies as a way to identify "morons."
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So, students are supposed to write their name on the plastic name plaque using vis a vis markers. After the class, it should be a simple matter to wipe the names off with a paper towel and water.

Except that, somehow, a Sharpie from the last class is placed in the vis a vis can and one of the students writes their name on the name plaque in permanent marker. :frown: Not a problem. I simply trace over the student's name with a dry erase marker and then erase everything. Works great! Problem solved! :biggrin:

Problem 2: Instead of accidentally writing on the plastic name plaque with a permanent marker, this student writes his name with a dry erase marker. :frown:

What do you mean you can use an erasable dry erase marker to remove a permanent marker from a plastic name plaque, but there's no way to erase the erasable dry erase marker unless the student had enough foresight to accidentally write on the plastic with an unerasable Sharpie before accidentally writing on the plastic with an erasable dry erase marker?! :mad:

What the heck is up with that??

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you by any chance write the ground nuts regulations?

I read the last paragraph three times and I still cannot make the slightest bit of sense of it!

- Warren

mgb_phys said:
Did you by any chance write the ground nuts regulations?

Are you speaking of the electrically grounding the nuts that go on bolts; health codes for processing of peanuts (groundnuts); or health codes for processing of nuts, other than groundnuts, that happen to have been run through a grinder?

chroot said:
I read the last paragraph three times and I still cannot make the slightest bit of sense of it!

- Warren

It's unbelievable.

A dry erase marker will remove permanent ink from a Sharpie from a plastic name plaque. You trace over the Sharpie writing and everything wipes off easily.

There's nothing that will remove a dry erase marker from a plastic name plaque (not even a Sharpie).

BobG said:
Are you speaking of the electrically grounding the nuts that go on bolts; health codes for processing of peanuts (groundnuts); or health codes for processing of nuts, other than groundnuts, that happen to have been run through a grinder?

I can't find it on Google but there is a famous (possibly apocryphal) example of British Civil Service prose to classify peanuts as nuts for import duties, that goes something like:
"Nuts(ground) other than ground nuts when not ground shall be considered to be nuts (ground) unless unground when ... " and goes on for several pages.

BobG said:
It's unbelievable.

A dry erase marker will remove permanent ink from a Sharpie from a plastic name plaque. You trace over the Sharpie writing and everything wipes off easily.

There's nothing that will remove a dry erase marker from a plastic name plaque (not even a Sharpie).
Probably a light alcohol solvent in the dry-erase markers. I sometime mis-mark a CD or DVD with a Sharpie, and Isopropyl alcohol strips it off easily.

chroot said:

- Warren

Same thing here, got a slight headache out of it.

And lol @ the ground nuts hahahaha.

@OP

That's pretty rediculous now I think I know what your talking about... Is it because of the material the marker was written on that it won't come off as its supposed to?

Did you try a little rubbing alcohol? That'll usually clean dry erase marker. I'm still baffled that people don't have the sense to know a dry erase board shouldn't be written on with a permanent marker. Though, a plastic surface, I could understand someone thinking should be written on with a dry erase marker. Transparencies are such old "technology" that most students don't even know what a wet erase marker is.

If the class before wrote their names on the plastic plaques with a dry erase marker and it came off, why wouldn't it come off the second time?

I understand everything but the last paragraph.

50% water / 50% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. Along with a soft rag or some paper/shop towels. For those occasions where somebody insists on using permanent markers / the really cheap dry erase markers (or just on standby if you're a particularly cynical teacher / TA).

In this day and age, when even markers are stupid, you know the United States has problems.

I just write the student's name on his/her forehead with a Sharpie. It's good for about 4-5 days of training depending on how often they shower and exfoliate.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping this thread was to announce a new way to label and identify morons.

negitron said:
I'm disappointed. I was hoping this thread was to announce a new way to label and identify morons.

:smile: "Heeeeere's your sign!" :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I just write the student's name on his/her forehead with a Sharpie. It's good for about 4-5 days of training depending on how often they shower and exfoliate.

Sweet. That'll also get half the class to drop (confirming you as a nut of a professor, whether ground or unground) and then there won't be as many student names to remember anyhow.

Related to Erasing Permanent Markers from Plastic Name Plaques

What causes permanent markers to be difficult to remove from plastic name plaques?

Permanent markers contain pigments and solvents that are specifically designed to adhere to surfaces and resist fading or removal. This makes them ideal for long-lasting markings, but also makes them difficult to erase from plastic surfaces.

What is the best method for removing permanent marker from plastic name plaques?

The most effective method for removing permanent marker from plastic name plaques is to use rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol. These substances act as solvents and can break down the bonds between the pigments and the plastic surface, making it easier to remove the marker.

Are there any household items that can be used to erase permanent marker from plastic name plaques?

Yes, there are a few household items that can be used to remove permanent marker from plastic name plaques. These include nail polish remover, hand sanitizer, and white vinegar. However, it is important to test these substances on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure they do not damage the plastic.

Can erasing permanent marker from plastic name plaques cause damage to the surface?

Yes, depending on the type of plastic and the method used, erasing permanent marker can potentially cause damage to the surface of the plastic name plaque. It is important to be gentle and use caution when attempting to remove the marker, and to test any substances on a small area first.

Is there a way to prevent permanent marker from staining plastic name plaques?

Yes, there are a few ways to prevent permanent marker from staining plastic name plaques. One method is to cover the surface with a layer of clear tape before writing on it with permanent marker. Another method is to use a dry erase marker to write on the plastic, as the ink can be easily wiped off with a dry cloth.