Equivalent formulations of completeness

• Thread starter math771
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the formulations of completeness discussed in the conversation are all equivalent and fundamental properties of real numbers and metric spaces. Specifically, 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are all equivalent, and 3 implies 1. Additionally, when considering ℝ as a metric space with the standard Euclidean metric, 5 and 6 become equivalent statements.
math771
olarBear: Yes, all of these formulations of completeness are equivalent. It is a fundamental property of real numbers and metric spaces, so it makes sense that any formulation of completeness would be equivalent to the others.

To answer your specific questions, 3 does imply 1, and 5 and 6 do become equivalent statements when considering ℝ as a metric space with the standard Euclidean metric. This is because the standard Euclidean metric satisfies the conditions for a metric space to have a Cauchy completeness and nested interval property.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your proofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
So far, I have encountered the following formulations of completeness and was wondering whether they are all equivalent:

1) Supremum principle: Every nonempty bounded subset of ℝ has a supremum.
2) Infimum principle: Every nonempty bounded subset of ℝ has an infimum.
3) Monotone sequence property: Every monotonic bounded sequence in ℝ converges to an element of ℝ
4) Dedekind completeness: If S and T form a Dedekind cut of ℝ such that S < T, then either S has a largest element or T has a smallest element.
5) Cauchy completeness: Every Cauchy sequence in a metric space converges to an element of that metric space.
6) Nested interval property: The (infinite) intersection of every nested sequence of closed balls (in an arbitrary metric space) whose radii tend to zero is nonempty.

I have proved equivalence of 1, 2 and 4. I have also proved that 1 implies 3. Is it true that 3 implies 1? Clearly, 5 and 6 are defined for arbitrary metric spaces, but do they become equivalent statements to the others if we regard ℝ as a metric space with the standard Euclidean metric?

Thanks for clarifications. Do not state proofs. I just want to know whether they're equivalent. I will do proofs myself, thanks!

BiP

I would try to prove ##4 \Longleftrightarrow 6##. Since ##5## and ##4## should be equivalent, only ##3 \Longrightarrow n## will be left with any ##n\neq 3##. It's probably easiest to prove ##n =1## or ##n=2##.

Related to Equivalent formulations of completeness

1. What is the concept of "equivalent formulations of completeness" in scientific research?

The concept of "equivalent formulations of completeness" refers to the idea that different scientific theories or models may be equally valid in explaining a particular phenomenon. This means that there can be multiple ways of understanding and representing a complex system or process, and all of these formulations may be considered complete and accurate in their own right.

2. How is the idea of "equivalent formulations of completeness" relevant in different fields of science?

The concept of "equivalent formulations of completeness" is relevant in a wide range of scientific disciplines, from physics and chemistry to biology and psychology. In each of these fields, researchers may use different models or theories to explain the same phenomenon, and all of these formulations may be considered equally valid and complete.

3. Can you provide an example of "equivalent formulations of completeness" in action?

One example of "equivalent formulations of completeness" is the debate between the wave and particle theories of light. Both of these theories provide complete and accurate explanations for the behavior of light, but they use different models to do so. This demonstrates how different formulations can coexist and be equally valid in explaining a complex phenomenon.

4. What are the implications of "equivalent formulations of completeness" for scientific research?

The concept of "equivalent formulations of completeness" challenges the idea that there is only one "correct" way of understanding and explaining a phenomenon. It suggests that there can be multiple valid perspectives and models, which can lead to a deeper and more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and processes.

5. How does the concept of "equivalent formulations of completeness" impact the scientific community?

The idea of "equivalent formulations of completeness" encourages a more open-minded and collaborative approach to scientific research. Instead of competing with each other, scientists can recognize and appreciate the value of different formulations and work together to build a more complete understanding of the natural world.