Equivalence between power sets

In summary: Also, it's not "x is in M", it's "x is a subset of M". For Proposition 1), start with "Let x be an element of the power set of (A intersection B). By the definition of a power set, x is a subset of (A intersection B). By part a) ..." and so on.In summary, the proof from part a uses the equivalence between sets to establish the identity P(A) \cap P(B)= P(A \cap B).
dndod1

Homework Statement

Part a: Show that X [tex]\subseteq[/tex] Y and X [tex]\subseteq[/tex] Z if and only if X[tex]\subseteq[/tex] Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z, for sets X,Y,Z. I have done this.

Part b: Use the equivalence from part a to establish the identity P(A) [tex]\cap[/tex] P(B)= P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B), where P is the power set.

Homework Equations

The proof from part a

The Attempt at a Solution

This is as far as I can get and I'm not convinced that I am headed in the right direction.

Let P(A)= Y Let P(B)=Z Let P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) = X
Because we need to show =, we must show 2 propositions.
Proposition 1:
That P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] P(A) [tex]\cap[/tex] P(B)

Proposition 2:
That P(A) [tex]\cap[/tex] P(B) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] P(A intesection B)

Proposition 1: translates directly into what we had in part a.
X [tex]\subseteq[/tex] (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) So no further proof needed?

Proposition 2: translates into (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] X
Let x be an element of X
As (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] X, x [tex]\in[/tex] (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) from part a
As x [tex]\in[/tex] (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z), x [tex]\in[/tex] Y and x [tex]\in[/tex]Z

Here is the point where I am really lost! Did I need the "x [tex]\in[/tex] X" part at all?

Any assistance to get me on the right track would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dndod1 said:
Proposition 1: translates directly into what we had in part a.
X [tex]\subseteq[/tex] (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) So no further proof needed?

Proposition 2: translates into (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] X
Let x be an element of X
As (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) [tex]\subseteq[/tex] X, x [tex]\in[/tex] (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z) from part a
As x [tex]\in[/tex] (Y [tex]\cap[/tex] Z), x [tex]\in[/tex] Y and x [tex]\in[/tex]Z

Here is the point where I am really lost! Did I need the "x [tex]\in[/tex] X" part at all?

I don't understand how you are getting things "translating" into another thing, and you should be showing all your working clearly as well. And don't rename the sets because it doesn't save that much time and hides what you are actually dealing with.

The easiest way to to showing M is a subset of N is by saying "Let x be in M" then use logical steps to show "Thus x is in N".

For Proposition 1) start with "Let x be an element of the power set of (A intersection B). By the definition of a power set, x is a subset of (A intersection B). By part a) ..."

Then do similar for the next one.

Thanks for that. I shall give it another go. If I don't relate the sets in part b to what I showed in part a, am I not ignoring the part of the question that says "Use the equivalence from part a"?

Well, whether you explicitly state you used it or not, you will have to to complete the proof anyway, and since you have to explain all your reasoning, when you do use it you'll have to mention that you proved that fact in part a).

Related to Equivalence between power sets

1. What is the power set of a set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets that can be formed from the original set. It includes the empty set and the original set itself.

2. How is the power set of a set related to its cardinality?

The cardinality of a power set is equal to 2 raised to the power of the cardinality of the original set. In other words, if a set has n elements, its power set will have 2^n elements.

3. What does it mean for two power sets to be equivalent?

Two power sets are considered equivalent if they have the same number of elements, or in other words, if their cardinalities are equal.

4. Can two sets have the same power set?

Yes, it is possible for two different sets to have the same power set. For example, the sets {1, 2} and {a, b} both have the power set {{}, {1}, {2}, {1,2}}.

5. How can the equivalence of power sets be proven?

The equivalence of power sets can be proven by showing a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets. This means that for every element in one set, there is a corresponding element in the other set and vice versa.