Equilibrium Temperature and composition

In summary, the composition and temperature of the equilibrium mixture after adding 1.0 kg of ice at -40*C to 1.0 kg of water at 5.0*C is 1.2 kg of ice and 0.80 kg of water, both at 0*C. The equations used to find this equilibrium temperature involve comparing the heat required to raise the temperature of ice to 0*C, the heat absorbed from the water to decrease the temperature to 0*C, and the heat required to freeze/melt the water/ice. The point at which the heat removed from the water equals the heat absorbed by the ice determines the equilibrium temperature.
RedBarchetta

Homework Statement

Describe the composition and temperature of the equilibrium mixture after 1.0 kg of ice at -40*C is added to 1.0 kg of water at 5.0*C.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{gathered}
Q = mc\Delta T \hfill \\
Q = mL \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
[/tex]

Book answer:1.2kg ice, 0.80 kg water, all at 0*C

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to set this one up. I've tried:

[tex]
m_i c_i \Delta T_i + m_w c_w \Delta T_w = 0
[/tex]

With this I found the equilibrium temperature to be -9.8*C...

Physics news on Phys.org
To begin writing down the equations to yield the equilibrium temperature, the first thing one has to do is to determine the phase of matter the equilibrium point.

So, to start, you need to quantitatively compare the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of ice to 0 degC, heat absorbed from the water to decrease the temperature to 0 degC, and the heat required to freeze/melt all the water/ice. At which phase does the heat removed from the water= heat absorbed by the ice?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations that are relevant to the problem. In this case, the variables are mass, specific heat capacity, and temperature, and the equations are the heat capacity equation (Q=mcΔT) and the latent heat equation (Q=mL).

Next, I would consider the physical properties of the substances involved. Ice has a specific heat capacity of 2.09 J/g°C and a latent heat of fusion of 334 J/g, while water has a specific heat capacity of 4.18 J/g°C. I would also note that the heat capacities and latent heats are different for the solid and liquid phases of water.

Using this information, I would set up an energy balance equation to determine the equilibrium temperature and composition of the mixture. This equation would take into account the heat gained by the ice and the water as they reach equilibrium, as well as the heat lost by the ice as it melts and the water as it cools.

The final result would show that after 1.0 kg of ice at -40°C is added to 1.0 kg of water at 5°C, the resulting equilibrium mixture would consist of 1.2 kg of ice and 0.8 kg of water, all at a temperature of 0°C. This is because the heat lost by the ice as it melts (334 J/g x 1.0 kg = 334 kJ) is equal to the heat gained by the water as it cools (4.18 J/g°C x 1.0 kg x 5°C = 20.9 kJ) and by the ice and water as they reach equilibrium (2.09 J/g°C x 1.2 kg x 40°C = 100.8 kJ and 4.18 J/g°C x 0.8 kg x 5°C = 16.7 kJ, respectively).

In conclusion, the final equilibrium mixture would consist of 1.2 kg of ice and 0.8 kg of water, all at a temperature of 0°C. This result is in line with the book answer provided.

Related to Equilibrium Temperature and composition

1. What is equilibrium temperature?

Equilibrium temperature refers to the temperature at which the rate of energy absorbed by a system is equal to the rate of energy emitted, resulting in a stable temperature. In other words, it is the temperature at which there is no net change in thermal energy.

2. How is equilibrium temperature calculated?

Equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the rate of energy radiated by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. It can also be calculated using the principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer.

3. What factors affect equilibrium temperature?

The main factors that affect equilibrium temperature are the properties of the materials involved, such as their heat capacity and thermal conductivity, and the amount of energy being transferred to or from the system.

4. What is the significance of equilibrium temperature in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, equilibrium temperature plays a crucial role in determining the direction and rate of the reaction. Reactions tend to occur at a faster rate at higher temperatures, but if the reaction is exothermic (releases heat), the equilibrium temperature will decrease as the reaction proceeds.

5. How does equilibrium temperature affect the composition of a system?

Equilibrium temperature can affect the composition of a system by influencing the rates of chemical reactions and phase changes. At equilibrium, the composition of a system will be determined by the balance of reaction rates and the temperature of the system.