Equilibrium problem: Calculate the tension of each cord

TheePhysicsStudent
Homework Statement
Was practising an equilibrium problem (and i have done quite a few like this one before and got them right) and I am unsure Where i have went wrong here
Relevant Equations
t1v + t2v = 2.8
1706958890868.png
The question
1706958924448.png
What I did
1706958951569.png
The answer

• Care
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}=?##

Likes TheePhysicsStudent, SammyS, Lnewqban and 1 other person
Not ##\tan## :smile:
(slow typist)

• Love
Likes TheePhysicsStudent, SammyS and Delta2
Also, $$\begin{align} & T_2\frac{\cos60^{\circ}\cos40^{\circ}}{\sin40^{\circ}}+
T_2\sin60^{\circ}=T_2\left(\frac{\cos60^{\circ}\cos40^{\circ}+\sin60^{\circ}\sin40^{\circ}}{\sin40^{\circ}}\right) \nonumber \\
& =T_2\frac{\cos(60^{\circ}-40^{\circ})}{\sin40^{\circ}} =T_2\frac{\cos20^{\circ}}{\sin40^{\circ}}.\nonumber
\end{align}$$

• Informative
Likes TheePhysicsStudent
TheePhysicsStudent said:
A couple of things worth noting...

1. If you draw the force-triangle and use the sine rule, the problem takes only a few lines of simple working. (It’s a lot quicker and less error-prone than the method you used.)

2. You have forgotten the unit in your final answer - lose one mark!

Likes Lnewqban
Hanging toy.jpg

To avoid any confusion, by 'force-triangle' (in Post #5) I meant this...
triangle.gif

Likes erobz and BvU
Steve4Physics said:
To avoid any confusion, by 'force-triangle' (in Post #5) I meant this...
View attachment 339715
Wow thanks, I think this information may help speed time in lots of calculations i do

Likes Steve4Physics and Lnewqban
TheePhysicsStudent said:
Wow thanks, I think this information may help speed time in lots of calculations i do
Just in case it is not clear, when drawing a force polygon of forces in balance, the arrows join head to tail, as in @Steve4Physics' drawing.
You can also use them to find the resultant of a system of forces. In that case the resultant completes the polygon but its arrow is reversed.

Likes MatinSAR, Steve4Physics, TheePhysicsStudent and 1 other person

Related to Equilibrium problem: Calculate the tension of each cord

1. How do you calculate the tension of each cord in an equilibrium problem?

In an equilibrium problem, the tension of each cord can be calculated by setting up a system of equations based on the forces acting on the object. By analyzing the forces in the x and y directions, you can determine the tension in each cord.

2. What are the key principles to consider when calculating tension in an equilibrium problem?

When calculating tension in an equilibrium problem, it is important to consider Newton's second law, which states that the sum of the forces in each direction must be zero. Additionally, you should consider the angles at which the cords are attached to the object, as this will affect the tension in each cord.

3. Can you provide an example of how to calculate the tension of each cord in an equilibrium problem?

Sure! For example, if you have an object hanging from two cords at different angles, you can calculate the tension in each cord by analyzing the forces acting on the object and setting up equations to solve for the tensions. By considering the weight of the object and the angles of the cords, you can determine the tension in each cord.

4. What happens if the tensions of the cords are not equal in an equilibrium problem?

If the tensions of the cords are not equal in an equilibrium problem, it means that the object is not in equilibrium. This could be due to an unbalanced force acting on the object, causing it to move or accelerate. In order to achieve equilibrium, the tensions of the cords must be equal and opposite to the weight of the object.

5. Are there any simplifications or assumptions that can be made when calculating tension in an equilibrium problem?

When calculating tension in an equilibrium problem, it is often assumed that the cords are massless and frictionless, and that the object is in a state of rest or constant velocity. These simplifications make the calculations easier, but it is important to remember that in real-world scenarios, there may be additional factors to consider.