Equilibrium of a spring and speed.

In summary: This results in the speed being greatest at equilibrium, as the force is always acting in the same direction as the mass's motion. In summary, the speed of a mass attached to an oscillating spring is greatest at equilibrium because the restoring force accelerates the mass towards the equilibrium position.
Alameen Damer
Let's say I have a mass attached to an oscillating spring on a friction less horizontal surface. Why is it that the speed of the mass is greatest at equilibrium? I would have thought it would be greatest just before reaching the amplitudes due to maximum kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alameen Damer said:
Let's say I have a mass attached to an oscillating spring on a friction less horizontal surface. Why is it that the speed of the mass is greatest at equilibrium?

Because the restoring force accelerates the mass till it reaches the equilibrium position .

Alameen Damer said:
I would have thought it would be greatest just before reaching the amplitudes due to maximum kinetic energy?

On the contrary , the speed decreases and becomes zero when the mass reaches the extreme point.

I see so as it passes the equilibrium, does the net force begin acting opposite to the motion decreasing velocity?

Alameen Damer said:
I see so as it passes the equilibrium, does the net force begin acting opposite to the motion decreasing velocity?

Right .

Thank you

Alameen Damer said:
The restoring force always acts toward the equilibrium point. So, when the mass moves toward the equilibrium point, the force speeds it up; when it moves away, the force slows it down.

Likes Delta2

Related to Equilibrium of a spring and speed.

What is equilibrium of a spring?

Equilibrium of a spring refers to the state where the forces acting on the spring are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration.

How is equilibrium of a spring related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. Therefore, when a spring is in equilibrium, the force exerted by the spring is equal to the force applied to it, resulting in a net force of zero.

What factors affect the equilibrium position of a spring?

The equilibrium position of a spring is affected by its spring constant (k), the force applied to it, and its initial length. The greater the force applied or the smaller the spring constant, the greater the displacement from the equilibrium position.

How is the speed of an object related to the equilibrium of a spring?

When an object is attached to a spring and released from a displacement, it will oscillate around the equilibrium position. The speed of the object is greatest at the equilibrium position, as it experiences no net force and continues moving with its initial velocity.

What happens to the speed of an object as it moves away from the equilibrium position?

As an object moves away from the equilibrium position, the force exerted by the spring increases, resulting in an acceleration towards the equilibrium position. This acceleration causes the object to slow down until it reaches its maximum displacement, where it changes direction and starts moving back towards the equilibrium position with increasing speed.