Equilibrium equations - spherical coordinates

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on the topic of "different element" and explains that they have read multiple books but none of them provide a clear explanation on how to get to the last three equations. They suggest using the vector force balance and deriving derivative relationships from the unit vectors to solve the problem. They also mention that the book "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot may be a helpful resource.
jhongg7
TL;DR Summary
Hello guys, I would like to know if someone has developed the general equations of equilibrium for a differential element.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "different element?"

I'm sorry Chester, it is Differential element.

So isn't. that what your diagram says? Or are you asking for a development or a presentation of the equations? If the latter, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Chestermiller said:
So isn't. that what your diagram says? Or are you asking for a development or a presentation of the equations? If the latter, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Hi Chester, I read the book, they have the equations but they don't develop the results. What I want to know is how to get to the last three equations. I have read many books, yet they present it, they don't say how to do it. The explain cylindrical but spherical they just present it.

I would do it by expressing the vector force balance in terms of the unit vectors in the radial, latitudinal, and longitudinal directions. The force balances are going to involve spatial derivatives of these unit vectors. Each derivative of each of the unit vectors can be expressed, in turn, in terms of the three unit vectors themselves (and trig functions of the latitude and longitude angles). I would derive these derivative relationships (or look them up in BSL). I would then substitute them into the appropriate places in the vector force balance. Then, the rest is easy, since all that is then needed is to dot the vector force balance, in turn, with each of the three unit vectors.

Ok, thank you Chester!

Related to Equilibrium equations - spherical coordinates

1. What are equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates?

The equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the forces acting on a particle or object in a three-dimensional space. They take into account the radial, azimuthal, and polar components of the forces and are essential for analyzing the stability of a system.

2. How are equilibrium equations derived in spherical coordinates?

The equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates are derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By considering the forces in each coordinate direction and setting them equal to zero, we can derive the equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates.

3. What is the significance of equilibrium equations in physics?

Equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates are crucial in physics as they allow us to determine the stability of a system. By analyzing the forces acting on an object, we can determine whether it will remain in a state of equilibrium or if it will experience motion or deformation. This is essential in various fields of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

4. How are equilibrium equations used in engineering?

Engineers use equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates to design and analyze structures and systems. By applying these equations, they can determine the forces acting on different components and ensure that the system is stable and can withstand external forces. This is crucial in fields such as structural engineering, aerospace engineering, and mechanical engineering.

5. Can equilibrium equations be applied to any system?

Equilibrium equations in spherical coordinates can be applied to any system that can be described using three-dimensional coordinates. This includes both static and dynamic systems, as long as they are in a state of equilibrium. However, it is important to note that these equations may need to be modified for more complex systems or situations, such as those involving non-conservative forces or non-uniform distributions of mass.