Equation relating a function and its inverse

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for a function when given an equation involving the function and its inverse. The participants discuss different approaches, such as differentiating the equation and considering the domain of the function and its inverse. However, it is concluded that there is no continuous solution for the given equation, and finding examples of functions that satisfy the equation is challenging.
pmqable
so here's the question: if you have some equation relating a function, f(x), and its inverse, f-1(x), can you solve for the function?

for example, solve for f(x):

f(x)+f-1(x)=x^2

how about:

f(x)+f-1(x)=g(x)

my math teacher (AP calc) was stumped on this one... any thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By inverse, do you mean

f -1(x) = 1 / f(x)

or that

if f(x) = y, then f -1(y) = x?

by inverse i mean f(f-1(x))=x... e.g. ln(e^x)=x

What if you differentiated the equation? Can you relate the derivative of the function and its inverse? (hint)

Mute said:
What if you differentiated the equation? Can you relate the derivative of the function and its inverse? (hint)

I suppose you could differentiate both sides. Then you would get:

f'(x)+f-1'(x)=2x

f'(x)+1/(f'(f-1(x)))=2x

but this equation still does not get rid of the f-1(x)... do you see something I don't?

pmqable said:
I suppose you could differentiate both sides. Then you would get:

f'(x)+f-1'(x)=2x

f'(x)+1/(f'(f-1(x)))=2x

but this equation still does not get rid of the f-1(x)... do you see something I don't?

The way the equation is written on the wikipedia page somewhat obscures the point:

$$\frac{df^{-1}(x)}{dx} = \frac{1}{\frac{df(x)}{dx}}$$

(where the inverse exists)

your question is a little strange, since f + f^-1 is only defined where both f and f^-1 are defined. but the domain of f^-1 equals the range of f, so they may not have any common domain at all.

but let's say they do have a common domain interval, e.g. the whole real line.

if you want a continuous solution there cannot be any.

i.e. a continuous invertible function on the line is monotone, say increasing. but then also its inverse is increasing, hence also their sum,

but x^2 is not increasing. so there do not exist any continuous, much less differentiable, f and f^-1 defined on all of R satisfying your equation.

now let's take a finite interval, say [0,1]. then either f(0) = 0 and f(1) = 1 and f is increasing or else f(0) = 1 and f(1) = 0 and f is decreasing. let's assume increasing.

then both f and f^-1 are non negative, and their sum equals x^2, hence both have values everywhere less than or equal to x^2.

this is also impossible, since the graphs of f and f^-1 are symmetrical about the line y=x.

Thus if f has values less than x^2, then f^-1 has values larger than x^2, contradiction.

now let's take a half infinite interval like [a,infinity). then f(a) = a and also f^-1(a) = a, so their sum is 2a, not a^2, unless a=0 or 2. if a=0 i think we already did it above, if a = 2, then f^-1(2) = 2, and both f and f^-1 are increasing so again the graphs are both above the line y=x a contradiction.you might try to think of any examples at all of f and f^-1 where their sum is a polynomial function of x.or maybe you could look at examples of functions f and f^-1 with different domains, but where f+f^-1 = x^2, on some interval common to their domains. that would be harder to study.

Last edited:

Related to Equation relating a function and its inverse

1. What is the definition of an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. It basically switches the input and output values of the original function.

2. How can you determine if a function has an inverse?

A function has an inverse if it passes the horizontal line test, which means that a horizontal line only intersects the function once. This ensures that each input value has exactly one output value.

3. How do you find the inverse of a function algebraically?

To find the inverse of a function algebraically, you can follow these steps: 1) replace f(x) with y, 2) switch the x and y variables, 3) solve for y, and 4) replace y with f^-1(x) to indicate the inverse function.

4. What is the relationship between a function and its inverse?

The relationship between a function and its inverse is that they "undo" each other. When you apply the original function and then the inverse function, you should get back the original input value. This relationship is represented by the equation f(f^-1(x)) = x and f^-1(f(x)) = x.

5. Can a function have more than one inverse?

No, a function can only have one inverse. This is because the inverse function must pass the horizontal line test, which means that it can only have one output value for each input value. If a function has multiple outputs for the same input, it cannot have an inverse.