Equation of the Tangent Line to a Curve at a Given Point

In summary, the student is trying to find the equation of a line that goes through the point (1,1) and has a slope of 1/4. They use the y' equation to get the slope and then use the slope and the x-value of (1,1) to find the y-intercept.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point.

Homework Equations

y=x¼ Point = (1,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Derivative of y is y' = ¼x
Plugging in the derivative to the equation for a line: y-1=¼(x-1).
My book's answer is Y=¼x+¾, but I don't know how they got there. Expanding ¼(x-1) gives me a nasty fraction with a radical that doesn't seem to come out to equal ¼x+¾. I'm not sure what to do next here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

y=x¼ Point = (1,1)

[/B]
My book's answer is Y=¼x+¾, but I don't know how they got there. Expanding ¼(x-1) gives me a nasty fraction with a radical that doesn't seem to come out to equal ¼x+¾. I'm not sure what to do next here.

That's not the equation of a line. Where did the exponent -3/4 come from? Review the form for the equation of a line again.

Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

y=x¼ Point = (1,1)

[/B]

You use the y' equation to give you the slope of the line. What is the basic equation for a straight line in terms of its slope and y-intercept?

Use the slope and the fact that the line goes through the point (1,1) to figure out the y-intercept to complete the equation...

Dick said:
That's not the equation of a line. Where did the exponent -3/4 come from? Review the form for the equation of a line again.

Since ¼x is the slope at any point, doesn't the -¾ go there?

berkeman said:
You use the y' equation to give you the slope of the line. What is the basic equation for a straight line in terms of its slope and y-intercept?

I believe it's: y=mx+b

Use the slope and the fact that the line goes through the point (1,1) to figure out the y-intercept to complete the equation...

Plugging in values for x and y: 1 = ¼(1) + b.
Simplifying: 1 = ¼ + b, so b = ¾.

So are they simplifying ¼x to ¼x at the point since x = 1?

Drakkith said:
So are they simplifying ¼x to ¼x at the point since x = 1?
There is a difference between "The Equation of a line" and "The Equation of a Tangent Line".
Check the links I provided.

Drakkith said:
So are they simplifying ¼x-¾ to ¼x at the point since x = 1?

Not exactly... you find y' = 1/4 at the point (1,1), and then separately substitute that into the equation of a line y = mx + b, and solve for b. Since you know the line passes through (1,1) at its point of tangency, you can use that point to solve for b.

There are likely many ways to solve this type of problem, but that's the way I prefer to do it.

Okay, so I have a curve given by the first equation. They want the tangent line at a certain point on the curve. The derivative of the original equation gives me another function. At any x-value, this new function gives me the slope of the curve at that x-value, correct? So to find the slope of the curve at (1,1) I'd plug 1 in for X, which gives me 1/4 as the slope. Then, using (1,1), I get y-1 = 1/4(x-1), which simplifies to y= 1/4x + 3/4, which is the equation for the tangent line at that point on the curve.

How's that look?

Drakkith said:
Okay, so I have a curve given by the first equation. They want the tangent line at a certain point on the curve. The derivative of the original equation gives me another function. At any x-value, this new function gives me the slope of the curve at that x-value, correct? So to find the slope of the curve at (1,1) I'd plug 1 in for X, which gives me 1/4 as the slope. Then, using (1,1), I get y-1 = 1/4(x-1), which simplifies to y= 1/4x + 3/4, which is the equation for the tangent line at that point on the curve.

How's that look?

Looks good! :smile:

BTW, I'd probably just plug the point (1,1) into the y = mx + b equation, so 1 = (1/4)*1 + b to solve for b. You know the line goes through (1,1) and has the slope 1/4.

Dick said:

ToBePhysicist said:
Greetings,
Equation of a line.
Finding the Equation of a Tangent line.
I can't believe I linked to wiki how...:DD

Thanks for the help guys.

berkeman said:
Looks good! :smile:

Thanks, Berk. My main problems were that A.) I didn't really understand the overall problem and how everything worked together, and B.) for some reason I was thinking that x-3/4 = 1/3x1/4... Had to look up my exponent laws again to figure out that its one over the fourth root of x cubed, not three times the fourth root of x.

Likes berkeman
Drakkith said:
Thanks for the help guys.
Thanks, Berk. My main problems were that A.) I didn't really understand the overall problem and how everything worked together, and B.) for some reason I was thinking that x-3/4 = 1/3x1/4... Had to look up my exponent laws again to figure out that its one over the fourth root of x cubed, not three times the fourth root of x.
Any time, sir.
I hope people understand my way...
Instead of noticing that I am new here and not everything I say is accurate...People will click the links to notice some other (Experienced human or resources to get all the needed info) and getting the answers themselves...That or I am too lazy to type the answer! :wink:

Related to Equation of the Tangent Line to a Curve at a Given Point

What is the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point?

The equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point is a mathematical expression that describes the slope and position of the line that touches the curve at that specific point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

How is the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point calculated?

The equation of the tangent line can be calculated using the derivative of the curve at the given point. The derivative is a function that represents the slope of the tangent line at any point on the curve. The equation of the tangent line is then written in the form y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept of the line.

Why is the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point important?

The equation of the tangent line is important because it allows us to find the slope and position of the tangent line at any point on the curve. This information is useful in many applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function or solving optimization problems.

Can the equation of the tangent line be used to find the slope of a curve at any point?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can be used to find the slope of a curve at any point. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the derivative of the curve at that point. This allows us to find the slope of a curve at any point without having to graph the entire curve.

What are some real-life applications of the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point?

The equation of the tangent line has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to determine the velocity and acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. In economics, it can be used to find the marginal cost or revenue at a certain level of production. In engineering, it can be used to design curved objects such as bridges or roller coasters.