Equation of motion for a pendulum using Lagrange method

morpheus343
Homework Statement
Find the equation of motion of the pendulum
Relevant Equations
Lagrangian L=T-V
Kinetic-Potential energy
1706764977595.png

I move the system by a small angle θ . I am not sure if my calculations of kinetic and potential energy are correct.
1706765036261.png

Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
What calculations? All you have given is the final result, which does not look correct to me.

• Love
Likes Delta2
1706865003406.png

I do not understand if this just a problem treated like a pendulum with a simple sphere but just adding the other 2 sphere's masses. Is the potential energy supposed to have a different y for each sphere?

You are asserting that the speed of the outer spheres are the same as that of B? Is this reasonable?

morpheus343 said:
Is the potential energy supposed to have a different y for each sphere?
What would you say based on your second diagram in the OP? Are all spheres at the same height? Does the answer matter?

1706869811340.png

Then it would be like this. This was my first assumption but i got lost in the algebra and thought i was maybe wrong and it was supposed to be simpler

Well, for the potential energy, perhaps there is an argument to make it simpler? What can you say about the center of mass?

For the kinetic energy, I did not check the math, but yes, you indeed need to take the distance to C and D using the Pythagorean theorem. Note that, since the distance appears squared in T, you should probably keep the exact rational 1+4/9 = 13/9 in the expression.

Orodruin said:
Well, for the potential energy, perhaps there is an argument to make it simpler? What can you say about the center of mass?

For the kinetic energy, I did not check the math, but yes, you indeed need to take the distance to C and D using the Pythagorean theorem. Note that, since the distance appears squared in T, you should probably keep the exact rational 1+4/9 = 13/9 in the expression.
It's at sphere B which is the midpoint of CD. So i only need the vertical distance from the centre of mass when calculating the potential energy?

morpheus343 said:
It's at sphere B which is the midpoint of CD. So i only need the vertical distance from the centre of mass when calculating the potential energy?
Yes. By definition, the potential energy for any mass distribution is given by
$$
V = \int U(z) \rho(\vec x) dV
$$
where ##U(z)## is the gravitational potential and ##\rho## the density. Assuming ##U(z) = gz## (homogeneous field), you’ll find
$$
V = g \int z \rho(\vec x) dV \equiv m g \bar z
$$
where ##\bar z## is the z-coordinate of the center of mass by definition:
$$
\bar z = \frac 1m \int z \rho(\vec x) dV
$$

• Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz and Delta2

Related to Equation of motion for a pendulum using Lagrange method

1. How is the equation of motion for a pendulum derived using Lagrange method?

The equation of motion for a pendulum can be derived using the Lagrange method by first defining the Lagrangian of the system, which is the kinetic energy minus the potential energy. Then, the Euler-Lagrange equation is applied to the Lagrangian to obtain the equation of motion for the pendulum.

2. What advantages does the Lagrange method offer for deriving equations of motion?

The Lagrange method offers several advantages for deriving equations of motion, including the ability to handle complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom, the avoidance of constraints, and the conservation of energy and momentum in the system.

3. Can the Lagrange method be used for any type of pendulum system?

Yes, the Lagrange method can be used for any type of pendulum system, including simple pendulums, compound pendulums, and physical pendulums. The method is versatile and can handle a wide range of pendulum configurations.

4. How does the Lagrange method compare to other methods for deriving equations of motion?

The Lagrange method is often preferred over other methods for deriving equations of motion due to its simplicity, elegance, and ability to handle complex systems. It also provides a systematic approach that simplifies the process of deriving equations of motion for mechanical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrange method for deriving equations of motion?

While the Lagrange method is powerful and versatile, it may not be the most efficient method for simple systems with few degrees of freedom. In such cases, other methods like Newton's laws of motion may be more suitable for deriving equations of motion.