Equation for Gravity Going to Zero at Finite Distance?

In summary: If you mean, at small enough distances, no, for two reasons.First, relativity has issues with treating objects as point particles, because that would require the object to be of infinite density and would therefore create infinite spacetime curvature at the object's location, which breaks the model.Second, in GR, if a massive object gets compact enough, it will be a black hole, not an ordinary object. And the "acceleration due to gravity" above a black hole increases without bound as the hole's horizon is approached, not as "zero distance" is approached. So the intuitive model you appear to have in mind, of having a "gravitating mass" that is arbitrarily small and can be approached arbitrarily closely, is not
jaketodd
Gold Member
Seeking an equation for gravity where gravitational force goes to zero at large distances

I realize the Newtonian formula has trouble with this. And I've heard gravity never goes to zero in relativity. So, maybe a quantum gravity one, that isn't too complicated? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jaketodd said:
I realize the Newtonian formula has trouble with this.

Why would you think so? The standard Newtonian formula for gravitational force gives zero as ##r \rightarrow \infty##.

jaketodd said:
I've heard gravity never goes to zero in relativity.

Where have you heard this? Have you looked at any GR textbooks?

jaketodd said:
maybe a quantum gravity one

There is no accepted quantum gravity theory, so there's no way to provide this.

PeterDonis said:
Why would you think so? The standard Newtonian formula for gravitational force gives zero as ##r \rightarrow \infty##.
Where have you heard this? Have you looked at any GR textbooks?

Well, I need an eq that has gravity going to zero at a reasonable distance (not infinity). Like my pencil does not attract my pen, on my desk here, a few cm apart. Even if there's no big, popular quantum gravity equation, there must be some that aren't too complicated, and are somewhat accepted. Can you guys help?

Thanks

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
jaketodd said:
I need an eq that has gravity going to zero at a reasonable distance (not infinity)

There isn't one. But you can easily run the numbers to show that, for example, the gravitational force between your pen and your pencil is way, way, way too small to matter. Which is quite good enough.

Moderator's note: Thread moved to Classical Physics forum since the basic question has nothing to do with quantum physics, and doesn't even require relativity.

PeterDonis said:
There isn't one. But you can easily run the numbers to show that, for example, the gravitational force between your pen and your pencil is way, way, way too small to matter. Which is quite good enough.
Well, now that we get a bit into detail, it's not for a pen and pencil. I want to use it for masses such as the Planck mass, separated by a very small distance. No such equation huh? So gravity does indeed go to infinity in relativity? Thanks

edit: Sorry, I should not have said "large distances" in my original post.

Last edited:
jaketodd said:
Even if there's no big, popular quantum gravity equation, there must be some that aren't too complicated, and are somewhat accepted
There are none yet.

Likes jaketodd
jaketodd said:
I should not have said "large distances" in my original post.

Indeed.

jaketodd said:
I want to use it for masses such as the Planck mass, separated by a very small distance. No such equation huh?

There is the Newtonian equation, but of course it has not been tested on anything like such distance scales.

There is relativity, which mathematically has no restriction on how small distance scales can be, but which has other issues with a question like yours. See below. (Also, of course, relativity has not been tested on anything like such distance scales either. Nothing has. The smallest distance scale we can currently probe experimentally is a good 15 orders of magnitude or more larger than the Planck length.)

jaketodd said:
So gravity does indeed go to infinity in relativity?

If you mean, at small enough distances, no, for two reasons.

First, relativity has issues with treating objects as point particles, because that would require the object to be of infinite density and would therefore create infinite spacetime curvature at the object's location, which breaks the model.

Second, in GR, if a massive object gets compact enough, it will be a black hole, not an ordinary object. And the "acceleration due to gravity" above a black hole increases without bound as the hole's horizon is approached, not as "zero distance" is approached. So the intuitive model you appear to have in mind, of having a "gravitating mass" that is arbitrarily small and can be approached arbitrarily closely, is not really possible in GR.

Moderator's note: Thread moved to relativity forum now that the OP question has been clarified and does indeed involve relativity.

Related to Equation for Gravity Going to Zero at Finite Distance?

1. What is the equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance?

The equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance is known as the inverse-square law and is represented by F = GmM/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. Why does gravity go to zero at a finite distance?

Gravity goes to zero at a finite distance because of the inverse-square law. As the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational force between them decreases at a rate proportional to the square of the distance. This means that as the distance increases, the force of gravity becomes weaker and eventually reaches zero at a finite distance.

3. How does the equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance relate to Newton's law of universal gravitation?

The equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance is derived from Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Is the equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance applicable to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance is applicable to all objects in the universe. This is because the inverse-square law is a fundamental principle of gravity and applies to all objects with mass, regardless of their size or distance from each other.

5. Can the equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance be used to calculate the force of gravity between any two objects?

Yes, the equation for gravity going to zero at finite distance can be used to calculate the force of gravity between any two objects, as long as their masses and the distance between them are known. However, it is important to note that this equation only applies to objects with negligible size compared to their distance from each other.