Equation for Gravitation potential energy

In summary, gravitational potential energy is determined by an object's height relative to a reference point, its mass, and the strength of the gravitational field. The formula U = -Gm1m2/r assumes that potential energy is zero at infinity, while the formula PE = mgh assumes it is zero at ground level. The concept of potential energy is only meaningful when considering the difference between two points, and the formula ΔU = mgΔh is more useful for non-uniform fields. It would be less confusing if the formula ΔU = mgΔh was used instead. Additionally, for longer scales, the formula ΔU = Gm1m2*Δ(1/r) can be used, with both formula
member 392791
So I was looking at the equation for Gravitation potential energy

U = - Gm1m2/r

This implies the energy is 0 as r→∞

However, if I lift a book above my head, wouldn't it have more potential energy than if it was lying on the ground, meaning as r (h) increases, potential energy increases? Where is my misconception here?

PE = mgh

Wikipedia: ''The factors that affect an object's gravitational potential energy are its height relative to some reference point, its mass, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. Thus, a book lying on a table has less gravitational potential energy than the same book on top of a taller cupboard, and less gravitational potential energy than a heavier book lying on the same table. An object at a certain height above the Moon's surface has less gravitational potential energy than at the same height above the Earth's surface because the Moon's gravity is weaker. Note that "height" in the common sense of the term cannot be used for gravitational potential energy calculations when gravity is not assumed to be a constant. The following sections provide more detail.''

Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
So I was looking at the equation for Gravitation potential energy

[tex] U = -G \frac{m_1 m_2}{r} [/tex]

This implies the energy is 0 as ''r''→∞

However, if I lift a book above my head, wouldn't it have more potential energy than if it was lying on the ground, meaning as r (h) increases, potential energy increases? Where is my misconception here?

PE = mgh

it does have more potential energy at ''r''→∞ than it has on the ground. 0 is bigger than a negative number.

Wikipedia: ''The factors that affect an object's gravitational potential energy are its height relative to some reference point, its mass, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. Thus, a book lying on a table has less gravitational potential energy than the same book on top of a taller cupboard, and less gravitational potential energy than a heavier book lying on the same table. An object at a certain height above the Moon's surface has less gravitational potential energy than at the same height above the Earth's surface because the Moon's gravity is weaker. Note that "height" in the common sense of the term cannot be used for gravitational potential energy calculations when gravity is not assumed to be a constant. The following sections provide more detail.''

from a classical POV, the thing you're missing is that potential energy, by itself, is sort of meaningless. it's the difference in potential energy between the two locations that matters.

The formula [itex]U=-G \frac{m_1 m_2}{r}[/itex] obeys the convention that U is zero at 'infinity'.

The formula U = mgh uses the convention that U is zero when h = 0. And we could say that h = 0 at floor level, at ground level, at table-top level, or wherever suits us for solving a particular problem. Alternatively (and, for me, preferably) we can write the formula as ΔU = mgΔh, in which case we never concern ourselves about where U is zero. It should be said that the mgΔh formula only applies over regions where the field is uniform, for example near the Earth's surface, for Δh << radius of Earth. So it's no use for, say, calculating escape velocity or elliptical orbits.

Last edited:
I agree completely with Philip Wood...it would be much better if we used ΔU=mgΔh
There would be less confusion.

And note we could do the same thing over longer scales, just say ΔU = Gm1m2*Δ(1/r). Note for small Δ(1/r), those two formulae become the same. So it is as has been said-- only ΔU is meaningful.

Related to Equation for Gravitation potential energy

1. What is the equation for gravitation potential energy?

The equation for gravitation potential energy is U = -G(m1m2)/r, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. How is the equation for gravitation potential energy derived?

The equation for gravitation potential energy is derived from the law of gravitation, which states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Through integration, this can be expressed as a potential energy equation.

3. What are the units of measurement for gravitation potential energy?

The units of measurement for gravitation potential energy are joules (J) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be measured in ergs or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. What is the significance of the negative sign in the equation for gravitation potential energy?

The negative sign in the equation for gravitation potential energy indicates that the potential energy is always negative, as the two objects are always attracting each other. This means that the potential energy decreases as the objects move closer together and becomes zero at an infinite distance.

5. How does the equation for gravitation potential energy relate to the conservation of energy?

The equation for gravitation potential energy is a form of potential energy, which is a type of energy that is stored within a system. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. Therefore, the gravitational potential energy of a system can be converted to kinetic energy as the objects move closer together.