Equality and Convergence of Prime Products

• Thread starter eljose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the equality \Pi(a_p+b_p)= \Pi(a_p)+\Pi(b_p) is exact, where both products a_p,b_p and (a_p+b_p) converge. It is concluded that the equality is not exact and it is impossible for all three of these infinite products to converge. The value of the infinite product of the constant 1 is discussed, with the conclusion that it is equal to 1. The possibility of the equality 1-\zeta(s)=\Pi\frac{p^{-s}}{1-p^{-s}} is also discussed, with the conclusion that it is not exact. Another product is proposed and discussed, but it is determined that it does
eljose
Is this equaltiy exact?:

[tex] \Pi(a_p+b_p)= \Pi(a_p)+\Pi(b_p) [/tex]

where both products a_p,b_p and (a_p+b_p) converge

another qeustion [tex]\Pi 1=1[/tex] ?

all products are made respect to all primes..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your first conjecture is vacuous i think, though i haven't checked properly: there is no situation where all three products can exist for the usual definitions of convergent products, namely, prod(1+x_n) converges iff sum(x_n) converges. and besides, does it even seem reasonable? if the index set were finite it is false.

and yes for the second one.

The equality is not exact -- it's not in the ballpark. It's impossible for all three of those infinite products to converge.

Yes, the infinite product of the constant 1 is, in fact, 1, as can be easily seen by taking the limit of the partial products.

how about [tex] a_p=1 , b_p=\frac{1}{1-p^{-s}} [/tex]they both converge, if the equality is exact the sum:

[tex] a_p-b_p=\frac{p^{-s}}{1-p^{-s}} [/tex] the product would converge to

[tex]1-\zeta(s) [/tex] being R(s) riemann,s zeta function..is that true?..

Last edited:
did you not read the posts above?

yes i have read the post, i have given two converging products and i would like to know if the equality [tex]1-\zeta(s)=\Pi\frac{p^{-s}}{1-p^{-s}} [/tex] is exact, because you can see that all the products

a(p)=1 b(p)=1/1-p^{-s} and a(p)+b(p) converge for certain values of s and how about?...

[tex]1+1/\zeta(s)=\Pi(2+p^{-s} [/tex]

Last edited:
so, you'vwe been told that if prod(1+x_n) is convergent, and so is prod(1+y_n) then the prod(1+x_n+1+y_n) cannot be convergent. so why are you still asking if it is possible?

let p+n be the n'th prime.

let 1+y_n = a_{p_n}-b_{p_n} and 1+x_n= b_{p_n}. you are claiming these both converge, therefore, for whatever value of s this correpsonds to, to a_{p_n} cannot converge. but a_p_n=1 so actually (at least one of) the other two products cannot exist.

could you help me with these product and say if they converge and what would be their value?..

[tex]\Pi\frac{2+p^{-s}}{1+p^{-s}} \Pi2-p^{-s} [/tex]

Last edited:
it converges iff the sum of 1/(1+p^{-s}) work out when this can happen, eg by the sandwich principle say. i think you'll find it's approximately when s<-1 (assuming s real) which as we know is out of the range of the region of convergence for the zeta function.

edit: now you've changed it. and [itex]\prod 2[/itex] doesn't make sense, really. what's the insdex? why is there a stray p^-s involved? why am i bothering to help you since you never listen to me anyway?

Last edited:
matt grime said:
it converges iff the sum of 1/(1+p^{-s}) work out when this can happen, eg by the sandwich principle say. i think you'll find it's approximately when s<-1 (assuming s real) which as we know is out of the range of the region of convergence for the zeta function.

edit: now you've changed it. and [itex]\prod 2[/itex] doesn't make sense, really. what's the insdex? why is there a stray p^-s involved? why am i bothering to help you since you never listen to me anyway?
Reading his code, not that it really matters anyway, it's meant to be displayed as:

[tex]\prod \left(\frac{2+p^{-s}}{1+p^{-s}}\right) \prod \left(2 - p^{-s}\right)[/tex]

Although to me it still seems quite ill-defined, but never mind.

well, that never exists since the second product never exists; the terms either converge to zero or diverge to (minus) infinity.

can you help me i need to find a product so:

[tex]1+1/\zeta(s)=\prod f(p) [/tex]

almost certainly not since there isn't even a product for zeta(s) that works for all s.

Related to Equality and Convergence of Prime Products

1. What is the concept of "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products"?

The concept of "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" refers to the idea that the products of prime numbers (numbers that can only be divided by 1 and themselves) can be equal to each other or converge to a certain value when multiplied together.

2. Why is "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" important in mathematics?

"Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the underlying patterns and relationships between prime numbers. It also has applications in fields such as number theory and cryptography.

3. What are some examples of "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products"?

An example of "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. Another example is the Euler product formula, which shows the convergence of the product of prime numbers to the Riemann zeta function.

4. How does "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" relate to other areas of science?

"Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" has connections to other areas of science such as physics and computer science. In physics, prime numbers are used in the study of quantum mechanics, and in computer science, prime numbers are crucial for data encryption and security.

5. What are the current research developments in the study of "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products"?

Current research developments in the study of "Equality and Convergence of Prime Products" include the exploration of new patterns and relationships between prime numbers, as well as applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography. There is also ongoing research on the distribution of prime numbers and their connection to other areas of mathematics.