Epimorphisms Between Groups: When is a Homomorphism Onto?

In summary: No, but I can certainly exhibit an element of $\mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z}$ that cannot be reached by $(x+y,x-y)$: one example is $(0,1)$. In general, $x+y$ is even iff $x-y$ is even for $(x,y)\in\mathbb{Z\times Z}$.Ah. I think I've found the problem with my proposal. The problem with my example isn't surjectivity: it's whether it's well-defined. You could have $\phi(0,0)=(0,0)$ and $\phi(1,0)=(0,1)$.
TheBigBadBen
Interesting question I've happened upon:

If there is an epimorphism (i.e. onto homomorphism) $\phi:G\times G \to H\times H$, is there necessarily an epimorphism $\psi:G\to H$? If not, under what conditions can we ascertain such an epimorphism given the existence of $\phi$?

I would think that this is true for abelian groups $G$ and $H$ by their respective decompositions, but I'm not sure how I'd show that to be the case. Also, I don't have a good guess for the general case. It seems clear that the isomorphism theorem should play a role at some point, but that doesn't lead to any obvious conclusions.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBigBadBen said:
Interesting question I've happened upon:

If there is an epimorphism (i.e. onto homomorphism) $\phi:G\times G \to H\times H$, is there necessarily an epimorphism $\psi:G\to H$? If not, under what conditions can we ascertain such an epimorphism given the existence of $\phi$?

I would think that this is true for abelian groups $G$ and $H$ by their respective decompositions, but I'm not sure how I'd show that to be the case. Also, I don't have a good guess for the general case. It seems clear that the isomorphism theorem should play a role at some point, but that doesn't lead to any obvious conclusions.

Wouldn't there have to be? Let $h_{1},h_{2}\in H$ be arbitrary. Then there exist $g_{1},g_{2}\in G$ such that $\phi(g_{1},g_{2})=(h_{1},h_{2})$. Let $\psi$ be defined by the action of $\phi$ on only the first component. I think it'd be fairly straightforward to show that $\psi$ inherits all the required properties straight from $\phi$. Onto seems clear: since $h_{1}$ is arbitrary, and $\phi(g_{1},g_{2})=(h_{1},h_{2})$, it follows that $\psi(g_{1})=h_{1}$, and you have your element in $G$ that maps to $h_{1}$. And the fact that $\psi$ is a homomorphism follows from the fact that $\phi$ is, right?

Ackbach said:
Wouldn't there have to be? Let $h_{1},h_{2}\in H$ be arbitrary. Then there exist $g_{1},g_{2}\in G$ such that $\phi(g_{1},g_{2})=(h_{1},h_{2})$. Let $\psi$ be defined by the action of $\phi$ on only the first component. I think it'd be fairly straightforward to show that $\psi$ inherits all the required properties straight from $\phi$. Onto seems clear: since $h_{1}$ is arbitrary, and $\phi(g_{1},g_{2})=(h_{1},h_{2})$, it follows that $\psi(g_{1})=h_{1}$, and you have your element in $G$ that maps to $h_{1}$. And the fact that $\psi$ is a homomorphism follows from the fact that $\phi$ is, right?

Your statement assumes that $\phi$ must act on the components separately. I thought this might be at first, but I don't believe this is necessarily the case.

A possible counter-example: $\phi:\mathbb {Z\times Z} \to \mathbb {Z}\times \mathbb Z$ given by $\phi(x,y) = (x+y,x-y)$ is an epimorphism in which you can't separate the components in the manner you described.

EDIT: The counter-example is not onto. Still trying to think of something to prove my point.

Last edited:
TheBigBadBen said:
Your statement assumes that $\phi$ must act on the components separately. I thought this might be at first, but I don't believe this is necessarily the case.

A possible counter-example: $\phi:\mathbb {Z\times Z} \to \mathbb {Z}\times \mathbb Z$ given by $\phi(x,y) = (x+y,x-y)$ is an epimorphism in which you can't separate the components in the manner you described.

EDIT: The counter-example is not onto. Still trying to think of something to prove my point.

I'm not seeing how the counter-example fails to be onto. Can you exhibit an element of $\mathbb{Z}$ that cannot be reached by the quantity $x+y$?

Ackbach said:
I'm not seeing how the counter-example fails to be onto. Can you exhibit an element of $\mathbb{Z}$ that cannot be reached by the quantity $x+y$?

No, but I can certainly exhibit an element of $\mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z}$ that cannot be reached by $(x+y,x-y)$: one example is $(0,1)$. In general, $x+y$ is even iff $x-y$ is even for $(x,y)\in\mathbb{Z\times Z}$.

Last edited:
Ah. I think I've found the problem with my proposal. The problem with my example isn't surjectivity: it's whether it's well-defined. You could have $\phi(0,0)=(0,0)$ and $\phi(1,0)=(0,1)$. Then my $\psi$ function isn't well-defined. Hmm. I wonder if there's a way to fix my example. I was thinking maybe you could use equivalency classes, but then would you really be mapping from $\mathbb{Z}$ to $\mathbb{Z}$?

Related to Epimorphisms Between Groups: When is a Homomorphism Onto?

1. What is an epimorphism in group theory?

An epimorphism is a type of group homomorphism that is surjective, meaning it maps the entire codomain onto the range. In other words, for every element in the target group, there exists at least one element in the source group that maps to it.

2. How is an epimorphism different from an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, meaning it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective. This means that every element in the target group has exactly one element in the source group that maps to it. In contrast, an epimorphism does not have to be injective, meaning multiple elements in the source group can map to the same element in the target group.

3. What is the significance of epimorphisms in group theory?

Epimorphisms are important in group theory because they help to identify and classify different types of group structures. They also provide a way to study the properties and relationships between different groups.

4. How can epimorphisms be used in practical applications?

Epimorphisms have a wide range of applications in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. In computer science, they can be used to represent data structures and algorithms, while in cryptography, they play a crucial role in constructing secure encryption schemes. In physics, epimorphisms are used to study the symmetries and transformations of physical systems.

5. Can epimorphisms be composed?

Yes, epimorphisms can be composed, meaning that the composition of two epimorphisms is also an epimorphism. This property is important in group theory as it allows for the construction of more complex group structures from simpler ones.