Entry Level Job for Physicist/Engineer in School?

In summary, the speaker is currently majoring in physics and working as a mechanic, but is looking for a new challenge in their field or a related field. They are hoping to find a job that pays at least $15 an hour and allows for flexibility to schedule around classes. However, they are also open to suggestions for gaining experience in their field while still working their current job.
zoiberg137
Entry Level Job for Physicist/Engineer in School??

Im currently in school majoring in physics (with the intention of taking an engineering masters) and work full time as a mechanic. I used to love my job, but i have gotten so familiar with it, it is no longer a challenge and has become incredibly mundane.

I'm wondering if there is something I should try to apply for that could give me a new challenge while giving me experience in my field, or at least CLOSE to my field.

I am already pretty sure that the answer is no. I would have to make at least 15 hourly and have the flexibility to schedule around my classes. Right now I am on salary and so long as I keep the work load caught up, I can take off in mid-day for day classes as needed. So I have the perfect job. Except that I'm sick of it. Which is why I'm in school!

Just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask... Perhaps someone has some ideas that I could pursue.

OR, even if you don't have a suggestion for a "job", any suggestions for ways that I can earn experience are ALWAYS appreciated :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you need the money, keep the job till you get your degree. You are going to be really hard pressed to find a job during the day that will let you take off for several hours while you take classes.

Related to Entry Level Job for Physicist/Engineer in School?

1. What qualifications are required for an entry-level job as a physicist or engineer in a school?

To be considered for an entry-level job as a physicist or engineer in a school, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. Some schools may also require a teaching certificate or experience working in a school setting.

2. What types of responsibilities can I expect in an entry-level job as a physicist or engineer in a school?

The specific responsibilities will vary depending on the school and the role, but some common tasks may include teaching physics or engineering courses, assisting with research projects, and providing support to other faculty members.

3. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that are particularly important for this type of job?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics and engineering principles, some key skills for success in an entry-level job in this field may include effective communication and presentation skills, the ability to work well with students and colleagues, and strong problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.

4. Are there opportunities for career advancement in this type of role?

Yes, there are often opportunities for career advancement in this type of role. As you gain experience and develop your skills, you may be able to take on more responsibilities, such as leading research projects or teaching more advanced courses. You may also have the opportunity to pursue advanced degrees and move into higher positions within the school or in other institutions.

5. How can I find entry-level job opportunities as a physicist or engineer in a school?

You can search for job openings on the websites of individual schools, as well as on job search engines and career websites. Networking with professionals in the field and attending job fairs or career events may also help you discover potential job opportunities.