Entropy: Thermodynamics & Information Theory Explained

In summary, entropy is a measure of how much information is present in a system. It is related to the thermodynamics sense of entropy, which is the amount of disorder in a system.
Jam Smith
I was reading some articles related to entropy and I come to know that,
The term “Entropy” shows up both in thermodynamics and information theory.

Now my question is :
What’s the relationship between entropy in the information-theory sense and the thermodynamics sense?

I need some clear and short guidance.

Science news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:

I can’t think of a best way to signify intuitively that entropy and information theory are essentially the same. Imperatively I found they both are hard to describe.

The amount of information it takes to describe something is proportional to its entropy. Once you have the equations (“I = log2(N)” and “E = k log(N)”) this is pretty obvious. However, the way the word “entropy” is used in common speech is a little misleading.

Right?

Jam Smith said:
owever, the way the word “entropy” is used in common speech is a little misleading.
Right?

The way the word [insert any physics terminology here] is used in common speech is a little misleading. This should not be surprising and it is very common.

However, you did ask this in a physics forum, and we seldom answer such questions using such misleading/mistaken concepts. What you will get is the standard physics answer. Isn't this what you were looking for?

Zz.

Likes DrClaude
ZapperZ said:
The way the word [insert any physics terminology here] is used in common speech is a little misleading. This should not be surprising and it is very common.

However, you did ask this in a physics forum, and we seldom answer such questions using such misleading/mistaken concepts. What you will get is the standard physics answer. Isn't this what you were looking for?

Zz.

You misunderstood me. I was talking about,
In thermodynamics every state is as likely to come up as any other. In information theory,

Why in thermodynamics every state is as likely to come up as any other? Can this be proved?
I am still not clear.

Likes Jam Smith

Related to Entropy: Thermodynamics & Information Theory Explained

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a measure of the amount of energy in a system that is unavailable for work. In information theory, it is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness in a system's data.

2. How is entropy related to thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, entropy is related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that as energy is converted from one form to another, some of it is inevitably lost as unusable energy, increasing the overall entropy of the system.

3. How is entropy related to information theory?

In information theory, entropy is a measure of the uncertainty or randomness in a system's data. It is used to quantify the amount of information contained in a message or signal. The higher the entropy, the more unpredictable the data is and the more information it contains.

4. How can entropy be calculated?

In thermodynamics, entropy can be calculated using the formula S = k ln W, where S is entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of possible microstates of a system. In information theory, entropy can be calculated using the formula H = -∑p(x) log2 p(x), where H is entropy and p(x) is the probability of a particular event occurring.

5. What are some real-world applications of entropy?

Entropy has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and computer science. In thermodynamics, it is used to study the efficiency of energy conversion processes. In information theory, it is used in data compression, cryptography, and error-correcting codes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as climate patterns and financial markets.