Entropy & second law of thermodynamics

In summary: This is why the correct answer is D. In summary, the change in entropy of an ideal gas during an isothermal contraction is always negative, meaning it decreases. This is because heat energy is flowing out of the gas and the number of states decreases. The correct answer to the given question is D, as stated in the answer key.
sskk221

Homework Statement

Consider all possible isothermal contractions of an ideal gas. The change in entropy of the gas:
A) does not increase for any of them
B) increases for all of them
C) is zero for all of them
D) decreases for all of them
E) does not decrease for any of them

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta S\geq 0[/tex]
[tex]\Delta S = Sf -Si[/tex]
[tex]\Delta S = Q/T [/tex] (isothermal process)

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose answer E since my physics book states that "in a closed system, the entropy of the system increases for irreversible processes and remains constant for reversible processes. It never decreases." However, the answer key has the correct answer as D. I think it might have something to do with the isothermal modifier, but I'm not exactly sure of the logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a closed system when you perform an isothermal process on an ideal gas - you have to supply or remove heat from the system.
In an isothermal contraction, the entropy decreases, as while the average kinetic energy of the molecules remain the same, the gas now occupies a smaller volume - no of states decreases.

sskk221 said:

Homework Statement

Consider all possible isothermal contractions of an ideal gas. The change in entropy of the gas:
A) does not increase for any of them
B) increases for all of them
C) is zero for all of them
D) decreases for all of them
E) does not decrease for any of them

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta S\geq 0[/tex]
[tex]\Delta S = Sf -Si[/tex]
[tex]\Delta S = Q/T [/tex] (isothermal process)

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose answer E since my physics book states that "in a closed system, the entropy of the system increases for irreversible processes and remains constant for reversible processes. It never decreases." However, the answer key has the correct answer as D. I think it might have something to do with the isothermal modifier, but I'm not exactly sure of the logic.

When the gas contracts during an isothermal process heat energy flows out of the gas. Thus, Q is negative and so is DeltaS=Q/T. Therefore, the entropy S decreases.

Related to Entropy & second law of thermodynamics

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy in a system. The higher the entropy, the more disordered the system is.

2. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This means that the energy in a closed system will tend to spread out and become more disordered over time.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The second law of thermodynamics does not contradict the principle of energy conservation, rather it explains the direction in which energy naturally flows. While energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can be converted from one form to another, and this conversion process will always result in an increase in entropy.

4. Can entropy be reversed?

In a closed system, the increase in entropy is inevitable according to the second law of thermodynamics. However, in an open system, where energy and matter can enter and leave, it is possible to decrease the entropy in one part of the system at the expense of an increase in another part.

5. How does entropy relate to the concept of disorder?

Entropy is often associated with the concept of disorder, as systems with high entropy tend to be more disordered. However, it is important to note that this is a simplification and that the actual definition of entropy is more complex and related to the distribution of energy within a system.