Entire Functions and Lacunary Values.

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of entire functions and their relationship to the concept of lacunary values. It is stated that according to one of Picard's theorems, an entire function must be onto, except possibly for one value known as the lacunary value. The question is posed whether an entire function with a lacunary value of 0 must be of the form e^(g(z)), where g(z) is an analytic function. The conversation then explores the use of Weierstrass factorization theorem and the existence of a primitive function for an analytic function f. Finally, it is concluded that for every entire nonzero non-constant function f, there exists a g with the property that f(z) =
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
#Hi All,
Let ## f: \mathbb C \rightarrow \mathbb C ## be entire, i.e., analytic in the whole Complex plane. By one of Picard's theorems, ##f ## must be onto , except possibly for one value, called the lacunary value.
Question: say ##0## is the lacunary value of ##f ##. Must ## f ## be of the form ##e^{g(z)}## , with ##g(z)## analytic?.
Clearly if ##g(z)## has no lacunary values, then ## e^{g(z)}## will have only ##0## as its lacunary value,
and if ##g(z) ## has only ##w## as its lacunary value, then this value will be assumed in ## w+i2\pi n ##, so ##0## will still be the lacunary value of ## e^{g(z)}##. Maybe we can consider composing functions with known lacunary values, but I don't see offhand how, since I don't know the lacunary values of general entire functions.
I considered using Weirstrass factorization thm, but it seems overkill and has led nowhere.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theorem: Let ##D## be any elementary domain (for example ##D = \mathbb{C}##), let ##f:D\rightarrow \mathbb{C}## be an analytic function such that ##f(z) \neq 0## for each ##z\in D##, then there exist an analytic function ##h## such that ##f(z) = e^{h(z)}## for all ##z\in D##.

Proof: Let ##F## be a primitive of ##f^\prime / f##. Then put ##G(z) = \frac{e^{F(z)}}{f(z)}##. One checks easily that ##G^\prime (z) = 0## for all ##z\in D##. Therefore, ##e^{F(z)} = Cf(z)## for some nonzero constant ##C##. Since ##e^z## is surjective, we can write ##C = e^c##. Then ##h(z) = F(z) - c## does the trick.

Thanks, that shows the side I am aware of, but does it show that all entire functions that do not hit zero are of this form? Sorry, I know I am being lazy and using composition of entire functions would give an answer, but I wondered if someone knew the answer offhand.

WWGD said:
Thanks, that shows the side I am aware of, but does it show that all entire functions that do not hit zero are of this form?
They all can be expressed in that way. That's what the theorem says.

I don't get it, how does my answer not answer your question?

Sorry for not being clear: I am looking for a common way of generating/describing all such functions, I would say with an iff rule. I know that every function _can_ be expressed that way. What I meant to say is: does that form exhaust all possible functions with lacunary value 1?. I am looking for something along the lines of ##f: \mathbb C \rightarrow \mathbb C ## is an automorphism (global diffeomorphism) iff ##f(z)= az+b ##. Yes, you are right that any function ##f(z)## with ##f(z)## entire and never ##0## does have a logarithm ## g(z) ## in a simply-connected region so that ## e^{g(z)}=f(z) ## , but what I should have asked is whether this exhausts all possible such functions. Hope I was clearer this time

Sorry, I really don't get it.

Let me think it through and I will try to be more clear. Thanks.

"For every entire nonzero non-constant function f there exists g with [property]" is as exhaustive as it can get.
The other direction is also true:
For every non-constant entire g there is a non-constant nonzero entire f with f(z)=eg(z).

Related to Entire Functions and Lacunary Values.

1. What are entire functions?

Entire functions are functions that are defined and continuous over the entire complex plane. This means that they have no singularities or poles anywhere on the complex plane.

2. What are lacunary values?

Lacunary values are values that do not exist in the range of a given function. In other words, they are values that the function does not take on.

3. How are entire functions and lacunary values related?

Entire functions can have lacunary values, meaning that there are values that the function does not take on. However, not all entire functions have lacunary values.

4. What is the significance of lacunary values in complex analysis?

Lacunary values can provide important information about the behavior of a function. They can help determine if a function is bounded or unbounded, and can also be used to prove the existence of certain types of functions, such as entire functions with certain properties.

5. Are there any applications of entire functions and lacunary values?

Yes, entire functions and lacunary values have numerous applications in mathematics and engineering. They are commonly used in number theory, differential equations, and signal processing, among others.