Enthelpy's Equation of state vs Energy's equation of state

In summary: ENDMENTIn summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of energy, entropy, and their equations of state. The equations of state for energy and entropy are different from each other, and their differentials are used to calculate the values for these quantities in a process between equilibrium states. While PV is a state function, q and W are not, and the differential form of the first law does not describe the states themselves. The equation of state for energy is usually expressed as U = H - PV, but it is important to define the term "equation of state" in this context.
stuffchemistry
I'm really confused about Energy and Entropy's equations of state, and how their differentials work.

So I find everywhere that H = U + PV. And so dH = d(U +PV) = dU + PdV + VdP
Ok, that makes sense. But then I look at energy and try to get the equation of state

dU = δqrev + δwrev.

That also makes sense. But what is the equation of state for just U itself? Why is U = q + PV not an equation of state? Why is only the differential the equation of state? How come you can't take the differential of U = q + PV to get dU = dq + PdV + VdP?

Is the equation of state for energy just U = H - PV, rearranging H = U + PV?
I'm really lost in this...

Physics news on Phys.org
stuffchemistry said:
I'm really confused about Energy and Entropy's equations of state, and how their differentials work.

So I find everywhere that H = U + PV. And so dH = d(U +PV) = dU + PdV + VdP
Ok, that makes sense. But then I look at energy and try to get the equation of state

dU = δqrev + δwrev.

That also makes sense. But what is the equation of state for just U itself? Why is U = q + PV not an equation of state? Why is only the differential the equation of state? How come you can't take the differential of U = q + PV to get dU = dq + PdV + VdP?
Welcome to PF, stuffchemistry!

q and W are not state functions ie. their values do not depend on the state of the system. Rather they depend on the process or path followed in moving between equilibrium states. The differential form (first law) is not a relation of states either. It describes the measure of physical quantities in a process between states, not the states themselves.

PV is a state function. However, dU = δQ-PdV is not necessarily true. The first law is dU = δQ-δW. δW = PdV only if the external and internal pressures are the same (ie. the process is quasi-static).

Is the equation of state for energy just U = H - PV, rearranging H = U + PV?
I'm really lost in this...
An equation of state usually relates parameters that fully describe the thermodynamic state of a system, eg. PV=nRT is the equation of state of an ideal gas. How are you defining the term "equation of state"?

AM

Last edited:

Related to Enthelpy's Equation of state vs Energy's equation of state

1. What is Enthelpy's Equation of state?

Enthelpy's Equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a thermodynamic system in terms of its enthalpy, temperature, and pressure.

2. What is Energy's Equation of state?

Energy's Equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a thermodynamic system in terms of its internal energy, temperature, and pressure.

3. How do Enthelpy's and Energy's equations of state differ?

Enthelpy's and Energy's equations of state differ in the thermodynamic properties they use to describe a system. Enthelpy's equation uses enthalpy, while Energy's equation uses internal energy.

4. Which equation of state is more commonly used?

Both Enthelpy's and Energy's equations of state are commonly used, but Enthelpy's equation is more frequently used in chemical and process engineering applications, while Energy's equation is more commonly used in physics and thermodynamics.

5. Can Enthelpy's and Energy's equations of state be used interchangeably?

No, Enthelpy's and Energy's equations of state cannot be used interchangeably as they represent different thermodynamic properties and are derived from different fundamental equations. Their use depends on the specific system and properties being studied.