Engineering or Biomedical Science?

In summary, the person is facing a dilemma between choosing to study Engineering or Biomed. They have been accepted into both courses but are afraid they are not smart or driven enough to complete Engineering. They are also concerned about the cost of moving away for Engineering and not wanting to disappoint their boyfriend's mother. The person wants to make their parents proud but is hesitant due to previous mistakes. However, others believe in them and the person is advised to give Engineering a try and reassess their direction after the first year. It is also suggested to be honest with others about the challenges and to find a job if needed.
isabellalucy
Hi,
Here's my dilemma... I have been accepted into both courses. I applied for Engineering first but am afraid I am not smart or driven enough to complete it. It is also 3 hours away from home, therefore, I would have to move out but unfortunately since I don't have a job my Mum has offered to pay for accommodation (I don't want her hard earned money to go to something I feel like I would fail.)
So I applied for Biomed, I'm not the best at biology either but it was the only other course I was interested in. With this course I can stay at home and keep costs down. It opens a few other doorways as well.

Everyone expects me to do Engineering because I have been trying to get into it all year. My boyfriends Mum especially is pushing me to do it, I don't want to disappoint her. But I also don't know whether I want to do it anymore and am just letting other people influence me.

I 've made a lot of mistakes in the past year and all I want is to make my parents proud, what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you're erecting artificial obstacles for yourself.

What evidence do you have that you are not "smart or driven enough?" Obviously you were capable enough to meet the admission requirements - so you meet the school's standards for the program. It sounds like it's something that you want to do. And it sounds like other people believe in you.

A course in engineering will be challenging. And, yes, you may find that it's not for you. But the only way to figure this out is to try it. Go for a year. If it's too much of a challenge, buckle down and get through it as best you can and reassess your direction once you're through. A first year engineering program will have a lot in common with other programs, so if you decide to pursue something else, you'll likely be able to finish without adding on any extra time.

I understand not wanting to let other people down. Be honest with them. Tell them you're expecting this engineering program to be a big challenge. But it could also be a tremendous opportunity for you.

And with regards to not having a job - there is a solution to that. It involves putting a resume together.

Related to Engineering or Biomedical Science?

1. What is the difference between engineering and biomedical science?

Engineering is a broad field that involves applying principles of science, mathematics, and technology to design and develop structures, systems, and processes. Biomedical science, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the application of engineering principles to solve problems in the field of medicine and healthcare.

2. What are the career opportunities in engineering and biomedical science?

Both engineering and biomedical science offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, research and development, and academia. Some common job titles in engineering include mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, and civil engineer, while in biomedical science, job titles may include biomedical engineer, clinical research associate, or medical device designer.

3. What skills are important for a career in engineering or biomedical science?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in mathematics and science are important for both engineering and biomedical science. In addition, engineers and biomedical scientists should have good communication skills and be able to work well in a team environment.

4. What are the advancements in engineering and biomedical science?

Both fields are constantly evolving and advancing with new technologies and discoveries. In engineering, advancements in areas such as renewable energy, artificial intelligence, and nanotechnology are leading to new innovations. In biomedical science, advancements in areas such as regenerative medicine, genetic engineering, and medical imaging are improving healthcare outcomes and quality of life for patients.

5. How can I prepare for a career in engineering or biomedical science?

To prepare for a career in engineering or biomedical science, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science courses. Internships or research experiences can also provide valuable hands-on experience and help develop important skills. It is also beneficial to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements and technologies in the field through continuing education and professional development opportunities.