Engineering Mechanics Question

In summary: The vertical force in member B is 15kN and the horizontal force in member C is -15kN. So the total force at G is 30kN.
sophiebeth100

Homework Statement

The right triangles of the plane truss are all the same. What are the forces in members BH and HG?

Diagram for question is below, or a link:
http://puu.sh/nsw1k/aad8a8b134.png

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Reaction force at A + reaction force at E are equal, therefore both = 15kN.

It was after this point I became stuck.

I calculated the forces in the x axis:
ABcos60 + AHcos30 = 0
Then in the y axis:
ABcos30 + AHcos30 = 15kN

Not sure if the above is correct, and not sure how to continue with the question. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get more equations by considering the balance of forces at each node. But that could generate a lot of equations and a lot of unknowns.
Using the symmetry, there are 7 unknowns.
It will help if you can find an easy one to start with. I suggest G. What do you notice there?

haruspex said:
You can get more equations by considering the balance of forces at each node. But that could generate a lot of equations and a lot of unknowns.
Using the symmetry, there are 7 unknowns.
It will help if you can find an easy one to start with. I suggest G. What do you notice there?

Perhaps that GC is equal to 12kN? Not entirely sure if that's right but if so I could work from there.

sophiebeth100 said:
Perhaps that GC is equal to 12kN? Not entirely sure if that's right but if so I could work from there.
No, that isn't right.
What forces act at G? What are their directions?

haruspex said:
No, that isn't right.
What forces act at G? What are their directions?
I wouldn't think there are any forces in the x-axis since the total force in the x-axis is zero.

Does the force at GC act upwards? Equal to the total downward force, so 30kN?

sophiebeth100 said:
I wouldn't think there are any forces in the x-axis since the total force in the x-axis is zero.

Does the force at GC act upwards? Equal to the total downward force, so 30kN?
In analysing forces in such interconnected systems, you need to focus on one node at a time, just thinking about what that node experiences directly. The only forces node G feels are from the three members that meet there, it doesn't 'know' anything about the externally applied loads. (Only nodes B, C, D feel those.)
The forces from the three members meeting at G must balance both vertically and horizontally. That allows you to write two equations involving the forces in those members. What equations do you get?

Related to Engineering Mechanics Question

1. What is engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics is a branch of physics and engineering that deals with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to external forces. It is the foundation of many engineering disciplines, including mechanical, civil, and aerospace engineering.

2. What are the main principles of engineering mechanics?

The main principles of engineering mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting on it, and the principles of statics and dynamics, which deal with the behavior of objects at rest and in motion, respectively.

3. How is engineering mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Engineering mechanics is applied in a wide range of real-world situations, from designing structures and machines to understanding the movement of fluids and gases. It is used to analyze and optimize the performance of existing systems, as well as to design new systems and solve engineering problems.

4. What are some common applications of engineering mechanics?

Some common applications of engineering mechanics include designing bridges, buildings, and other structures; developing machines and vehicles; analyzing the behavior of materials under different loads; and understanding the movement of fluids and gases in various systems.

5. What skills are needed to study engineering mechanics?

To study engineering mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and problem-solving. It also requires critical thinking, analytical skills, and the ability to visualize and conceptualize physical systems and their behaviors.