Engine thermal efficiency and Volume ratios

In summary: You are using the absolute values of Qh and Qc so you have to make sure that the original equation reflects that. For example, Qc = |Cp(T2-T1)| = Cp(T1-T2)
sandpants
The question:

A perfect gas undergoes the following cyclic processes:
State 1 to 2 cooling at constant pressure.
State 2 to 3 heating at constant volume.
State 3 to 1 adiabatic expansion.

Deduce an expression for the thermal efficiency of the cycle in terms
of r the volume compression ratio (r=V1/V2) and γ (where γ = ratio of specific heats Cp/Cv)

η = 1 - γ(r-1)/(rγ-1)

My attempt at the solution:
First I tried sketching the cycle

Bare with me as I present you the silly symbol art.

P

^'.
|..|
|...\
|...'-.
|...'-._
2<---------':.1 v

I'd like to work in specific terms

As it is a perfect gas
P1v1= RT1
P1v2= RT2
P2v2= RT3

Heats from 1->2, 2->3, 3->1
Q1->2=Cp(T2-T1)
Q2->3=Cv(T3-T2)
Q3->1 = 0 ; adiabatic.

Also, polytropic relations
v2/v1 = (P1/P2)1/n
as r = v1/v2⇔ r = (P2/P1)1/n
∴ rn = P2/P1 and
1/rn = P1/P2

Substituting Ideal Gas expressions in terms of Tn
Q1->2=Cp((P1v2-P1v1)/R)
Q2->3=Cv((P2v2-P1v2)/R)

Thermal efficiency
This is what I am unsure off. I begin assuming quite a few things. First I assume that heat in the cooling process is the equivalent of heat escaping to a cold reservoir; coincidentally, heat from the pressurization is the heat INPUT from the hot reservoir. As such:

η = [Q2->3 - Q1->2]/Q2->3

η = 1 - Q1->2/Q2->3

∴ η = 1 - Cp(P1v2-P1v1)/Cv(P2v2-P1v2)

η = 1 - γ((P1v2-P1v1)/(P2v2-P1v2))

From here:

P1v2/P2v2-P1v2 = P1/(P2-P1) = 1/rn-1

And
P1v1/P2v2-P1v2 = r/(rn-1)

My Result

η = γ(1-r)/(rn-1) =/= η = 1 - γ(r-1)/(rγ-1)

Can I assume n=γ in this situation? only 1 process is adiabatic.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Apply the adiabatic condition from 3→1.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Apply the adiabatic condition from 3→1.

AM

Can you be more specific? Apply where?

If it's adiabatic there is no heat - I do not understand how the process can be related to thermal efficiency.

sandpants said:
Can you be more specific? Apply where?

If it's adiabatic there is no heat - I do not understand how the process can be related to thermal efficiency.
What you need is the relationship between P1 and P2 in terms of V1 and V2. That is determined by the adiabatic condition PVγ = K.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What you need is the relationship between P1 and P2 in terms of V1 and V2. That is determined by the adiabatic condition PVγ = K.

AM

Indeed, the ratios match up and allow you to express them with n=γ. Thermodynamics is always like that - an answer under your nose at all times.

But another issue is that the numerator does not match up.
The expected form is r-1 when I get 1-r despite getting the same denominator.

sandpants said:
Indeed, the ratios match up and allow you to express them with n=γ. Thermodynamics is always like that - an answer under your nose at all times.

But another issue is that the numerator does not match up.
The expected form is r-1 when I get 1-r despite getting the same denominator.
You are using the absolute values of Qh and Qc so you have to make sure that the original equation reflects that. For example, Qc = |Cp(T2-T1)| = Cp(T1-T2)

AM

Related to Engine thermal efficiency and Volume ratios

1. What is engine thermal efficiency?

Engine thermal efficiency refers to the efficiency with which an engine converts the energy from fuel into mechanical work. It is a measure of the percentage of fuel's energy that is actually converted into useful work, with the remaining energy being lost as heat.

2. How is engine thermal efficiency calculated?

Engine thermal efficiency is calculated by dividing the work output of the engine by the energy input from fuel. The work output is typically measured in horsepower, while the energy input is measured in British thermal units (BTUs). The resulting value is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage efficiency.

3. What factors affect engine thermal efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect engine thermal efficiency, including the type of fuel used, the design and size of the engine, the air-to-fuel ratio, and the operating temperature. Friction and other mechanical losses can also impact efficiency.

4. What is the ideal volume ratio for an engine?

The ideal volume ratio for an engine varies depending on the type and design of the engine. However, in general, a higher volume ratio (also known as compression ratio) can lead to better thermal efficiency, as it allows for more complete combustion of fuel and air in the engine's cylinders.

5. How can volume ratios be optimized for better engine efficiency?

Volume ratios can be optimized through various methods, such as increasing the compression ratio, improving the air intake and fuel injection systems, and using advanced technologies like turbochargers or variable valve timing. Proper maintenance and tuning of the engine can also help maintain optimal volume ratios and improve efficiency.