Energy stored by a point charge

In summary: I hope you didn't forget that the electric field of a point charge diverges at the charge location. So you can't take that formula at face value. You have to integrate the expression for the energy density in spherical coordinates. I get the same answer.In summary, the energy stored by the electric field of a 9uC charge at the origin outside a sphere with a radius of 5mm is 72.9J. This can be calculated by integrating the expression for energy density in spherical coordinates or by using the formula U=(1/2)CV^2=(1/2)aqE, where a is the inner radius of the sphere and E is the electric field at that radius.
kayethetutor

Homework Statement

9uC charge at origin. How much energy does its electric field store outside a sphere centered about the origin with a radius of 5mm?

Homework Equations

C(sphere)=ab/(k(b-a)) V=kq/r U(cap)=(1/2)CV^2 E=kq/(r^2)
a=inner radius b=outer radius

The Attempt at a Solution

let the outer radius -> infinity, then C=a/k. V is 0 at infinity.
U=(1/2)CV^2=(1/2)(a/k)(kr/r)^2=(1/2)aqE= 72.9J which is the answer given in the book
This solution is something I dimly remember seeing but my reasoning is very shaky.
Why doesn't integrating ((1/2)εE^2)4∏r^2dr from r to infinity work? I get integral=-(1/2)ε(kq)^2(4∏/r) which is not at all the same

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
U= [...] = (1/2)aqE
E is the electric field at a radius of a? So ##E=\frac{k q}{ a^2}## and therefore
$$U=\frac{1}{2}aq \frac{k q}{ a^2} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{k q^2}{a}$$
Using ##k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}## in your equation gives the same formula.

kayethetutor said:
1. Why doesn't integrating ((1/2)εE^2)4∏r^2dr from r to infinity work? I get integral=-(1/2)ε(kq)^2(4∏/r) which is not at all the same

It does! Did you run the numbers & not get the advertised answer?

Related to Energy stored by a point charge

1. What is energy stored by a point charge?

Energy stored by a point charge refers to the potential energy that is stored in an electric field due to the presence of a point charge. It is a measure of the work required to bring the point charge from infinity to its current position in the electric field.

2. How is the energy stored by a point charge calculated?

The energy stored by a point charge can be calculated using the formula U = QV, where U is the energy stored, Q is the magnitude of the point charge, and V is the potential at the point charge's location in the electric field.

3. What factors affect the energy stored by a point charge?

The energy stored by a point charge is affected by the magnitude of the point charge, the distance between the point charge and other charges in the electric field, and the strength of the electric field at the point charge's location.

4. How does the energy stored by a point charge relate to the electric potential energy?

The energy stored by a point charge is a type of electric potential energy. It is the potential energy that is stored in the electric field due to the presence of the point charge.

5. Can the energy stored by a point charge be negative?

Yes, the energy stored by a point charge can be negative. This occurs when the point charge is in an electric field that is directed opposite to the direction of the point charge's motion, resulting in a decrease in the point charge's potential energy.