Energy storage in quicklime (CaO) by a sunparabol?

In summary: The sun does not shine in winter in Sweden. We are located about the same latitude as southern Alaska. During the heating process (with sunlight) the hydroxide is given off as O2 and H2.
magi
Hello.

I am at my university working on an idea if it would be possible to store heat energy in quicklime CaO.
We are to use a solar parabol to concentrate the sunlight and get a temperature in focus around 1000 C degres.

In that temperature it is possible to burn limestone to quicklime and then save it in a airtight storage.
1000 kg have about 320 kWh and can be bought in my country for around 45 $/1000 kg.
Does anyone know if we are wrong about this becouse it seems to easy to save energy this way.
To save energy to heat a house I need to burn around 15000 kg to be able to heat a house over the winter and I try to calculate how big solarparabol we need to build to be able to burn 15000 kg limestone to quicklime in a summer.

After the winter the reaction with water have turned CaO to Ca(OH)2 and it can be burned again to store energy for the next winter.

Do you think it is possible?
Have anyone heard if someone does something like this?
Nobody have tried it in my country so I hope someone out there know something.

I found a PDF-document that NASA did about it, so it seem possible.

http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS58424

Regards Magi

Engineering news on Phys.org
Very interesting proposal..
it sounds plausable to me..
one question , are you saying the sun does not shine in winter in sweden?
you seem to be (roughly) at the same lattidude as southern alaska.?
another question , during the heating process ( with sunlight) is the hydroxide given off as O2 & H2 , or is it steam?

willib said:
Very interesting proposal..
it sounds plausable to me..
one question , are you saying the sun does not shine in winter in sweden?
you seem to be (roughly) at the same lattidude as southern alaska.?
another question , during the heating process ( with sunlight) is the hydroxide given off as O2 & H2 , or is it steam?

:-p

We have sun here in winter but i guess I will need a bigger surfice in the parabol to be able to reach 1000 degrees.

When burning calciumhydroxide you get steam I've been told.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=890241

o:)

When burning calciumhydroxide you get steam I've been told
because if your device liberated H2 & O2 you could burn that too..
Say that you have this large pile of Ca(OH)2 , you might need some way to get the stuff in the center to the outside , where it can be heated .
or just heat smaller portions of it..

Related to Energy storage in quicklime (CaO) by a sunparabol?

1. What is quicklime and how does it store energy?

Quicklime, also known as calcium oxide (CaO), is a chemical compound that is produced by heating limestone in a furnace. When quicklime is exposed to water, it undergoes a chemical reaction called hydration, which releases a large amount of heat. This heat can be harnessed and stored as energy for later use.

2. How does a sunparabol help with energy storage in quicklime?

A sunparabol, also known as a parabolic solar collector, is a device that uses curved mirrors to concentrate sunlight onto a small area. This concentrated sunlight can then be used to heat quicklime and initiate the hydration reaction, thereby storing energy in the form of heat in the quicklime.

3. What are the advantages of using quicklime for energy storage?

Quicklime has a high energy storage capacity and can store heat for extended periods of time without significant loss. It is also a low-cost and easily obtainable material. Additionally, the hydration reaction is reversible, allowing for the release of stored energy when needed.

4. Can energy stored in quicklime be used for electricity generation?

Yes, the stored heat energy in quicklime can be converted into electricity through a process called thermoelectric conversion. This involves using a thermoelectric generator to convert the temperature difference between the quicklime and its surroundings into electricity.

5. What are the potential applications of energy storage in quicklime using a sunparabol?

The energy storage in quicklime using a sunparabol has the potential to be used in various applications, such as residential and commercial heating, industrial processes, and electricity generation. It can also be used as a backup energy source for renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind, to provide a more stable and reliable energy supply.