Energy spectrum of charged particle

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem in which the operators a(+) and a() are used to solve using perturbation theory. The person asking the question is unsure if this is the correct approach and is seeking guidance on how to solve it. The other person suggests completing the square in x in the Hamiltonian and using the transformation between {x,p} and {a, a'} to solve the problem exactly. They also mention that this is a good problem for comparing the results of perturbation theory with an exact solution.
chaotic

Homework Statement

M4QnP.png

Homework Equations

a(+) = (-ip+mwx)/(2hmw)^1/2
a() = (+ip+mwx)/(2hmw)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

can i use these operators to solve this problem? please help me i need to give this homework tomorrow morning :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine the method you should use will depend on the context of your lessons so far.
eg. I'd want to use perturbation theory. If you've just done some of that in class, then there's your approach.

thank you but we did not do perturbation theory. actually this is takehome and it can be further subject which we did not know. if it is about perturbation theory how can i start and how can i solve it? what is the way of it? i have 3-4 hour :)

How about completing the square in x in the Hamiltonian?

This problem can be solved exactly. Just complete the square first for x and solve the resulting harmonic oscillator problem using the transformation between {x,p} and {a, a'}.

What they said - if it were perturbation theory, it would say (somewhere) that the uniform field is "weak".

Simon Bridge said:
What they said - if it were perturbation theory, it would say (somewhere) that the uniform field is "weak".

This is actually a good problem for comparing the results of perturbation theory with an exact solution. I think I've seen it used that way.

thank you for your help. i will try now.

This is actually a good problem for comparing the results of perturbation theory with an exact solution. I think I've seen it used that way.
I know I've seen it this way. It's almost routine in some courses ... hence my knee-jerk reaction to check that was not the case this time.

Of course this means we could probably look up the solution...

Related to Energy spectrum of charged particle

What is the energy spectrum of charged particles?

The energy spectrum of charged particles refers to the distribution of energy levels among a group of charged particles. This can be visualized as a graph showing the number of particles at each energy level.

How is the energy spectrum of charged particles measured?

The energy spectrum of charged particles can be measured using various instruments such as particle detectors or spectrometers. These devices are designed to detect and measure the energy of individual charged particles.

What factors influence the energy spectrum of charged particles?

The energy spectrum of charged particles is influenced by various factors such as the type of particles, their initial energy, and the medium through which they are traveling. Electric and magnetic fields can also affect the energy spectrum of charged particles.

Why is understanding the energy spectrum of charged particles important?

Understanding the energy spectrum of charged particles is important in many fields of science, including particle physics, astrophysics, and radiation therapy. It can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of these particles, as well as their interaction with matter.

How does the energy spectrum of charged particles relate to radiation exposure?

The energy spectrum of charged particles is directly related to the amount of radiation exposure in a given environment. Higher energy particles can cause more damage to living tissue, making it important to understand and monitor the energy spectrum in areas with high levels of radiation.