Energy required to fracture a planetary mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fracturing a planetary mass and the amount of energy required to do so. The speaker mentions using the Impact Effects calculator to explore the impact event that created the Moon and asks for insights on how to calculate the energy needed for such a feat. They also inquire about the role of factors such as atmosphere and magnetic force in this scenario. It is concluded that on a planetary scale, the crust has no mechanical strength and would behave like a blob of water, making fluid dynamics the main determinant in this situation.
bitrex
Energy required to "fracture" a planetary mass

I was playing around with the Impact Effects calculator at http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/ and doing some thinking about the impact event scenario of the Moon's creation. The main bulk of the Earth seems to have stayed in one piece after that collision, though it lost a significant fraction of it's mass. As an intellectual exercise I was wondering how one might go about calculating the amount of energy that would be required to actually "fracture" a planetary sized mass into pieces that would not remain contiguous. I imagine it would have to be some large fraction of the body's gravitational binding energy, but as I'm not an astrophysicist I don't know what kind of starting assumptions one would make when dealing with such a problem.

I'm sure many collisions of similarly-sized large planetary bodies occurred in the early evolution of the Solar System, but perhaps large bodies don't "fracture" in the way I'm thinking and collisions are more fluid? Any insight to help satiate my curiosity would be much appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Correct - it's all fluid dynamics, on these scales the crust doesn't have any mechanical strength so it's like a blob of water splitting in two.

I'm curious about the extreme situations. Would an atmosphere (not necessarily Earth's atmosphere) also play a role here? How about a planet with a large magnetic force? Or would these be completely minor players compared to the fluid dynamics of it all?

Cheers,
--Jake

Related to Energy required to fracture a planetary mass

1. How is the energy required to fracture a planetary mass calculated?

The energy required to fracture a planetary mass is calculated using the formula: E = (1/2) x F x d, where E is the energy in Joules, F is the force in Newtons, and d is the distance or depth of the fracture in meters.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy required to fracture a planetary mass?

The amount of energy required to fracture a planetary mass depends on several factors, including the composition and strength of the planetary material, the size and shape of the planetary mass, and the force applied to it.

3. Can a planetary mass fracture without any external force applied?

Yes, a planetary mass can fracture without any external force applied if it is subject to internal forces such as gravitational or tectonic forces. These forces can cause stress and strain on the planetary material, leading to fractures.

4. What is the significance of understanding the energy required to fracture a planetary mass?

Understanding the energy required to fracture a planetary mass can give us insights into the internal structure and composition of planets, as well as their potential for geological activity. It can also help us understand the potential impact of external forces, such as collisions with other objects in space, on planetary surfaces.

5. How does the energy required to fracture a planetary mass differ from that of a smaller object, like a rock?

The energy required to fracture a planetary mass is typically much higher than that of a smaller object like a rock. This is because planetary masses have a larger surface area and are subject to much higher forces, such as gravitational forces, which require more energy to overcome. Additionally, the composition and strength of planetary material may also differ from smaller objects, affecting the amount of energy required to fracture them.