Energy released, capacitor power output

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the energy stored in a capacitor at a given voltage and solving for the power output given a certain amount of energy released over a specific time period. The formula used for solving for energy is PE=1/2 CV^2 and power is calculated as P = E/t. The solution for part (a) is 3.025 J and the method for solving part (b) is to take the average power over the entire time period of 0.25 seconds.
KMc19

Homework Statement

a) An electrical device stores energy in a 1.25 x 10^-4 F capacitor at 220 V. How much energy can be stored in this device?

b) If 1.25 J were released from capacitor in 0.25 second, what would be its power output?

I believe I solved (a), but I cannot find out how to go about setting up and solving (b). Please help! :)

Homework Equations

PE=1/2 CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) = 1/2( 1.25 x 10^-4)( 220 V) = 3.025 J

b) I'm not sure about howto set this one up, that's where I'm having problems.

Physics news on Phys.org

Power is the rate at which energy is moved or work done.
P = E/t.
You can only do this as an average over the whole 0.25 s, for which the energy is given as 1.25 J.

Thanks Delphi!

Related to Energy released, capacitor power output

1. What is the definition of energy released in a capacitor?

Energy released in a capacitor refers to the amount of stored energy that is released when a capacitor discharges. This energy is typically measured in joules (J) or watt-seconds (Ws).

2. How is energy released calculated in a capacitor?

The energy released in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula E=1/2CV^2, where C is the capacitance of the capacitor and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

3. How does the power output of a capacitor affect its energy release?

The power output of a capacitor is directly related to its energy release. A higher power output means that the capacitor is able to release its stored energy at a faster rate.

4. What factors can affect the power output of a capacitor?

Several factors can affect the power output of a capacitor, including the capacitance value, voltage, and resistance in the circuit. Additionally, the type and quality of the capacitor can also impact its power output.

5. Why is understanding energy released and capacitor power output important?

Understanding energy released and capacitor power output is important because it allows us to accurately measure and predict the behavior of capacitors in electronic circuits. This knowledge is crucial for designing and optimizing efficient and reliable electronic systems.